Organizer for text files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PlaidHatter, Jul 19, 2005.

1. PlaidHatter macrumors member

Does an application similar to iTunes or iPhoto exist for text documents? I have thousands of .txt, .doc, and .pdf files that I would like to have organized in a similar way that the above mentioned programs do for music and pictures.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well apparently iTunes can organise pdfs for you but I've never done this and can't imagine it's be all that intuitive. Sorry, not very helpful here, but it might be worth a try. :)

3. PlaidHatter thread starter macrumors member

Wow, quick reply! Thanks, I had forgotten about iTunes' ability to organize pdf files. I, unfortunately, have more .txt and .doc files than pdfs.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

By the way, do you have Tiger? With smart folders and Spotlight, you can organise files pretty well through the Finder IMO.

5. PlaidHatter thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I am running Tiger. I could go the smart folders route, but wouldn't it slow me down quite a lot with my having thousands of documents?

Also, I'm wanting to purchase a notebook (recent "halo effect" switcher, currently with an OC'd mini), so I'd like to have an app that I could use on each system that has the data stored on a server. Not sure if smart folders would work with network data. I know that there is a hack to get spotlight to work on network drives, but it seems to be a bit of a kludge.

Forgive me if anything I said above is off the mark, I'm still a bit of an OSX newbie!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, first of all, sorry for being rude and not welcoming you before. Welcome to Macs REv9k. :)

Secondly, I've never heard of smart folders slowing down a system and I doubt this is the case but nevertheless, it's still a pretty clunky way of organising files but I can't think of an app that'll do it for you. I've had a look around on Version Tracker but no luck so far, sorry. By the way, as a new user, you might wanna get acquainted with Version Tracker. It's a pretty cool resource for free and cheap software.

Thirdly, I like the site in your signature. It looks really cool. Is it yours?

7. PlaidHatter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the great welcome and kindness!

I actually spent about 2 hours before posting looking around on Version Tracker. I discovered that before I actually bought my Mini, had to make sure that I could do everything that I needed on a Mac (but without the crashes!) before I bought one :)

I also googled around and I just honestly can't find anything that does what I'm looking for.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm sure we'll run into one another before too long on more topics. I'm just now getting to where I feel comfortable asking questions (and maybe answering some? Nah, not yet!), so I'll be around quite a lot.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well then, you're much more Mac savvy than I gave you credit for. Kudos. :eek:

Hopefully someone else will be able to recommend a program for organising text files but to be honest, I've never heard of one and I reckon it's pretty unlikely one exists.

9. PlaidHatter thread starter macrumors member

By the way, yes that is my website. I do a lot of studio recording, so one of the main things that I will be using my Macs for is recording. I Recently bought Logic Pro 7. A Mini isn't the best machine to run it on obviously, but I'm trying to spread my expenses as widely as I can. Bought the Mini to test the waters. Waiting for the "next big hardware update(tm) to jump in to the big iron.

Anyway, now returning to the topic on hand...

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

11. PlaidHatter thread starter macrumors member

I found it!

Thanks for the pointer to Hog Bay. It doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for, but I looked on VersionTracker for similar programs, and Devonthink Pro looks like it will be the perfect fit for what I'm trying to do.