Organizing classical music for iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by nutmac, Feb 1, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

Mar 30, 2004
    Let's face it. Although iPod is capable of playing classical music, its organization feature is not designed for classical music.

I rip classical music CD with sufficiently high bitrate (AAC 256 Kbps VBR) and tag as follows:
    • Album: instead of the classical CD album name (e.g., "Artur Rubinstein - The Chopin Collection", I use the composition title (e.g., Piano Concerto No. 1)
    • Make sure composer is not tagged with the artist(s) and ensure consistent spelling (e.g., "Sergei Rachmaninoff" vs. "Sergej Rachmaninov").
    • Title: for compositions with multiple movements, I use <movement> - <tempo> notation (e.g., "I - Allegro"). for single movement pieces, I repeat the composition title (e.g., "Adagio for Strings"). For opera, the song title.
    This scheme works pretty well when attempting to find a particular piece quickly. For instance, Music -> Composers -> Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart -> Piano Concerto No. 20. (I really wish iPod can be configured to sort by last name.)

The problem is playlists. Playlists insist on displaying each music by title. So I get a series of meaningless mess such as "I - Allegro". So what do I do? I create a BUNCH of playlists to suit particular listening needs. This is obviously not ideal. I much prefer to create more generic playlists such as "Baroque - Instrumental" and still be able to make some meanings out of each playlist's contents.

Anybody have better workaround?
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I'm still a CD focused guy, so my classical music is organized a bit differently. It also helps that I don't have a lot of it at the moment (which I hope to change). For artist, I put the performer only, for instance "Herbert von Karajan & the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra." For the album, I keep the CD/set title, in that case "Beethoven: Symphonien 1 - 9." For the title, I do [piece in key, opus, movement - movementname], so: "Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67, I - Allegro Con Brio." For composer, of course, that's obvious: "Ludwig van Beethoven."