Original 23' pinking problem with AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FireArse, Mar 10, 2007.

1. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Hey there...

Just wanted to give you guys a summary of my experience with my 23' and the now infamous pinking edges problem.

When I bought my Dual 2GHz PM with the 23' (I went for the AppleCare too) there was a great deal of talk about these screens. When I got mine - it was perfect. No dead pixels. Looked gorgeous. However, I read on here somewhere how to definately reproduce the issue.

I found my screen sufferred from the issue too - except to the untrained eye, it looked fine. Anyway - I decided to wait (why rush when you still have 2 years on the policy) till I graduated to try get the LCD panel replaced.

Anyway - fast forward to today - went to Regent Street with my ProCare card, and at my appointment showed the genius the issue. He quickly said 'with these ones, we just swap it for a brand new one'

I was shocked (pleasantly) and asked whether they had any downstairs. He said they sold their last one that morning - but that they'd have more in stock in a few days.

I specifically asked if I was gonna get a refurb - he said no, so I think I'll be getting one of the newer spec 23's.

I love Apple. GET APPLECARE :apple:

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It doesn't work. It is a problem with the panel itself.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

OK. Good luck with the new one.

FJ

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

So how do you reproduce the issue? (I wanna check if mine is good or bad)

Thanks.
    -Brad

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If you have to reproduce it, chances are you don't need to determine whether it is good or not. Because it is working fine for you.

8. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

I know - but he said, "to the untrained eye it is not noticeable," so I want to see if there is a way to make myself notice it, while it is still in the 1 year warranty period (I didn't purchase Apple Care.)

-Brad

9. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I would like to know how to reproduce it too. I've got a dead firewire port on mine and applecare (woot) and I was waiting till the last minute as I plan on buying a new intel mac and a 30" display in a few months. So it has to go back anyway and if I can just swap for a new one that would be awesome.

So how do we do the test?

10. FireArse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys...

OK - here's how I reproduced it.

Maximise iTunes (i mean drag it out to cover your whole screen, if you need to, move the window over the edges) Then compare how the colours look from the edges. In particular, look how defined the 'bars' look that background the details.

For me - the colours looked faded, certainly not as sharp as elsewhere in the screen, and not as Apple describe it in their description online.

I showed this to the guy in Regent Street, and he agreed it needed replacement.

Just one more thing, in DVD full-screen mode, the edges of the screen were kinda yellow. Have a look out for this too.

Good luck guys,

F

11. FireArse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a quick update...

I have in front of me a brand new Apple 23' Cinema display, courtesy of AppleCare. This one is so much brighter than my original - I believe it to be one of the newer (brighter) ones. I have this set to about 30% brightness. No cloudy areas, no stuck pixels. Pure, digital HD-Goodness :D

I love these things. I love Apple.

F

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Applecare can be worth it's weight in gold at times.

When my Orginal 20" ACD with the glass surround began playing up - Apple offered to replace it - but at that time the new Aluminium models were out. They refunded me my original €1450 for the monitor and I bought a 20" Aluminium ACD for €750 and pocketed the remaining €700 left over. :)