Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
I know that there is some alternatives to the original airport card because it is so expensive im looking for one around $30.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Basically there aren't any good alternatives. You could try a USB wireless dongle, but they generally don't work well.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
There are other options, and it depends on which Mac you have as to which different card to use.

But don't count on getting a new card for $30...maybe ebay.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
really, just go for the airport. it looks so much more pleasing. i know it's a bit more expensive, but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that bad (just don't eat out as much, etc) just my two cents.

kammron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Calgary Alberta
i bought an g3 ibook on ebay for my cousin,
and once it comes ill be looking for an airport card, or wireless usb.
im really leaning toward a usb at the moment.
cost wise it will save her a bunch.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
This review is quite helpful but they also left out a few cards as well. If you could get a slimline card by Proxim that had the same chip as the Apple Airport card then i think that would be ideal.

This seller on Ebay seems to be quite clued up on these things. Their store is also quite informative as well.

I am using a Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP-3 Airstation card without modification I also didn't need to download any drivers. I wrote about it a little in the thread that the OP mentioned in their second post. I also mentioned a few other potential cards in that thread.

Versiontracker also offer different drivers that they claim to support Mac software. I don't know how well this would work but maybe it could be something that you could research yourself in further detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.