Original Airport Card - Keep or Sell?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mjstew33, Dec 22, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    I have a mint condition, barely used original Airport card. nothing is occuping the card. Should I keep the card for a few years then try to sell and makes some big bucks because they are already rare? Or, should I just go sell now and make $130 or something like that.

Sorry if it doesn't sound right or punctuation is wrong... I just woke up :eek:
  2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    The longer you keep hold of it, the less people will have a Mac that will require the older card (as they upgrade, they'll be wanting an Airport extreme card, or whatever comes along next to replace it).

Your best bet is probably just to pop it in the post to me – it'll go nicely with my G3 iBook. I won't charge you anything for taking it off your hands, seeing as how it's Christmas. :p
  3. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    E-bay it now. I think a lot of people may be updating their harware in the near future with intel based macs so sell now while prices are sky high for the older airport cards.
  4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    The original Ariport card has an inflated value right now, but as the G3 and older G4 machines stop being used they will become less valuable. If you want to make some money I'd say sell now - I doubt the value will go up much more.
  5. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
  6. Chasealicious macrumors member

May 6, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    And by "sell it right away," he means send it to me. This Sawtooth tower I just picked up could sure use it!

If you send it overnight I can have it by Christmas!
  7. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    i got mine recently for around 75 bucks on ebay, and there were a alot to bid on at that time. As others noted though, the "demand" for them will only go down if you wait. It's just not associated with computers that are recent enough to warrant keeping or upgrading.
  8. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I called a local dealer today about an airport extreme card for my sister; he mentioned in passing that he was charging $130 for an original airport card. (He's also charging $99 for an extreme card apple sells for $79). Knowing mac users, there will be demand for old hardware for years to come; I dont think it will be much of a gamble to hold it for a while.
  9. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    How much more could the cards value possibly go up. Except for a collector who would pay more for the original card than what the computer its going into will be worth. So IMO I would sell it.