Original airport card with Extreme Base

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pepperdoug, Apr 15, 2004.

1. pepperdoug macrumors newbie

I am having trouble connecting wirelessly to the Airport Extreme base station using an IBM ThinkPad. My iMac has the older version of the Airport Card. The iMac is the computer that I use to set up my DSL service.

Can the connection issue with the IBM be related to the iMac having the older Airport Card?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

3. KershMan macrumors 6502

Make sure that the firmware on the AE Base Station and the IBM's card are up to date. If you updated the AE Base Station recently and not the card, you could have problems.

Is the IBM 802.11b or g? Are you using WPA, WEP, or what?

4. pepperdoug thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it is at least 802.11, I have to check on the b or g. How do I know if I'm using "WPA, WEP, or what?"

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. apple makes me fearless which makes my setting up a pc a dangerous proposition. So far tech support has been helpful, but still unsuccessful.

at least I can eliminate the iMac car being the issue. I updated the wireless connection software (not sure the name) to 3.12 per the IBM tech support.

I'll get more info, but this this is preconfigured from a school and apparently others are havinf wireless connection issues as well on routers that are not from apple.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll keep posting as I get better info.