Original Airport + G3 = HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Knapan, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Knapan macrumors newbie

I bought an iMac g3 with an airport in it today. It is my first mac, and Im not sure how to set it up. I know a fair bit about "pee cee's" but I can't seem to get it to work. Heres what I've tried so far:

a) Made sure the airport is physically there, and seated properly.
    b) Tinkered with some settings. Although, there don't seem to be too many.
    c) Changed my Linksys WRT54G to "mixed mode" and "b only", no go.
    d) Ive also tried setting the router to channel 6 and 11. Still nothing.

The iMac detects the airport, and seems to be functioning normally, except it doesn't pick up my wifi signal. In case it matters, I'm running OSX 10.3.

Thanks in advance! :p

2. mike dunx macrumors regular

try clicking the "other" option on the airport drop down menu and then typing in the name of your wireless network

3. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Attached Files:

4. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Security settings/

What security settings are on your WiFi? Is it set to WPA? I don't think the original Airport cards support WPA, only WEP. If you have incompatible security settings, your iMac will see your network, but won't connect. Try turning off security settings (leaving your network vulnerable, so don't leave it that way) and try and connect the iMac.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Does your router have preamble settings? If so, I believe the original airport card only supports a long preamble.

6. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, I didn't even know the antenna was there. Thanks for the help! It fixed the problem!:p

I feel dumb now. Hehe. Now just to fix that annoying buzz. It sounds like it might be coming from the front, down my the speakers/cd drive.:(

Edit: How hard are these things to open up and get a look in there?

7. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

great!

a buzz or a hum? i'm asking if the source electrical or mechanical. Hums are more indicative of fans or motors (like the hard drive motor).

not hard, it's annoying. I've only gone so far as to replace a hard drive but even that requires a comfort of computer guts. If you do crack 'er open, be sure to replace the battery. These iMacs are getting o l d .

8. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the battery reminder. Im pretty sure my cmos battery is dead. I have some familiarity with pc guts, as I have build a few pc's in the last year or two. The sound almost sounds liek a synthesizer, or hmmm....thats all I can really think of. :(