original airport- how it works/ is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

hi all i found a good price on the orgiinal base station, and i want to know how exactly it works. ive seen pics of the back, which has the modem cable, power, and ethernet, so do i plug in my modem to the station or to i directly plug in the phone line, since the station has a modem itself? also, shyould i just stick with my D-link router that i ahve right now? i only ask cuz it has 4 ethernet links, thanks

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I have the original bast station. It works great for me. If you have dial-up, plug the cord into the bast station directly. If you have ethernet, plug the ethernet cable coming from the modem into the base station. If using a router, it's modem, router, base station.

4. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Whether you go router or airport, you may want to check with your internet service provider to make sure it's compatible. I've had problems with Verizon not allowing me to use my belkin router in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. Being technically challenged, I couldn't figure out a work-around. I suspect the router would be cheaper, unless you found a good buy.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

the original base station is 802.11b instead of 802.11g (which means a rate of 11mb/s vs 54mb/s) if you have a 11b card in your computer than this will work fine. if you have an 11g card it might be a little slower (though realisitically the internet reaches 1mb/s (if you have a T1 connection) and even slower if you have any other connection) so you probably wont notice much of a difference either way. but if you already have a good working wireless base station, there isnt much of a need to go to apples. . . it does the same things as a non-apple router (except for the modem).