Original iPod headphones

Discussion in 'iPod' started by M. Malone, Jan 18, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I wanted to know where I can get the iPod headphones that come with the 5G video ipod, I'v tried the in ear ones apple sells, and the one Sony offers which wraps around the ear, they don't sound as good as the ones that come with the ipod, I guess I'm weird, but does anybody know where I can buy original ones sealed, I want the exact same one that comes with the video ipod,
    thanks

2. osustudent macrumors member

I have no idea. I had always assumed the ones sold on the website were the same as the ones that came with it. If all else fails, call Apple.

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i think the new radio ones are the best match, if they don't make the regular ones.

4. osustudent macrumors member

I saw that too when trying to help. Problem is: "Compatible with all iPod models except iPod with video, iPod nano and iPod shuffle."

edit: oops. Yeah, the radio remote would work. The regular remote (which is what is described above) wouldn't! $50 is a lot to pay for headphones, though.

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

6. betbest1 macrumors regular

Apparently, the radio ones are the same as the ones that come with the iPod, but with a shorter cord. Also, if anyone does manage to find somewhere that sells the iPod earphones, I might be interested (they're better than the earphones that come with many other MP3 players).

7. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I never pointed out, I have an iPod mini, I borrowed my brother's ear phones, I don't really have original apple ear phones. so I'm not sure the radio earphones will work

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Call up apple, ask them for the parts department, and then ask for part number 922-6698 and see how much they quote you.

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Maybe you just missed my post but you can get them for free by going to http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

Just enter the serial number for your ipod and select what you need replaced and they will just send it to you. The other Wednesday I did it for the video cable that connects the 5th Gen to your TV, and by Friday I had it sitting at my door.

10. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

thank you very much, I called them but they are closed, I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know if I can purchase those headphones.

11. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

id send u mine for free that came with mine, but they are at home and i am about 300 miles from home for school.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If out of warranty, Apple Support will charge $25.95 + tax for replacement earbuds. They can be ordered using killuminati's link above.

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

They don't charge anything. If you just go to the repairs section and choose to replace a defective part, fill out the forms and they will just send it to you. I'v replaced accessories from my ipods and other peoples that are out of warranty.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Is that the case even if they say they're going to bill you the $26 and ask for a credit card and all that? :confused:

15. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Before you go off and pay for the lousy apple earbuds make sure you used teh in-ear phones properly! They need to be inserted WAY into the earchannel. So far that the back for earbud is only visible and sits flush with your ear. If it doesn't go easily try a smaller size for the rubber bud things. There's no way the apple buds sound better than Sony's in-ear phones!

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

But don't they make you ship the old (broken) ones back to them? That's what I had to do with my Mouse.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I just put in a request a little while ago (about 07:00 GMT) for earbuds, a 3rd gen iPod as the test subject. I was asked for a credit card and amount above was listed, but I haven't seen an invoice yet. Current repair status is shipment pending, no part return required.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Was your iPod under warranty still?

I was required to give them a credit card with my mouse, but they would only charge it if I didn't send the broken mouse back to them. They shipped me a mouse, and then I just put the broken mouse in that box, ripped of the top label (revealing the one addressed to Apple underneath) and handed it to the DHL guy.
    I never paid a penny. (my mouse was under warranty)

However, if the iPod was no longer under warranty, I would expect them to charge you.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

No, that's why I picked that iPod for the service request. I want to see what they do.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

So you just put an order in for curiosity's sake? :confused:

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep :) I go through headphones like mad anyway, always breaking the wires, so what's the harm?

Edit: okay, I just got the email confirmation from Apple. $26.90 including tax, my card will be charged when they ship.

22. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Wow that is soooo strange. I wonder why I'v never had to pay for anything and even from out of warranty ipods! They've replaced docks, cables, and headphones for me.

I'm sorry iMeow if I got you charged $26.

23. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

hmmm that is strange I have a similar story to killuminati. I claimed 7 sets of earbuds for a 3rd gen iPod out of warrenty!

It was only onceI finally got a pair that lasted more then two days that i realised that they had sent 7 replacement head phones, and two remotes that the wwareenty had been out for 3 months.

24. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I really don't know, maybe it's because I didn't also ask for any replacements for in-warranty buds from that account in the past? Or it's a Canada vs. US thing? Or maybe they're holding a grudge for all the nasty things I said about that PowerBook 5300 they sold me! All is forgiven Apple, I'm buying your hardware again!
    Seriously this is not a problem! I really am good at murdering earbuds and would have bought something like that soon enough anyway.

What we do know now, is that if they quote a price up front, they probably mean it :) They do give plenty of opportunities to cancel out of the order.

25. Yoyodyne macrumors member

I just sent in a claim for earbuds due to the left side zapping out. They're sending me a pair no charge and I don't have to mail in the defective earbuds. My iPod is under warranty.