Original Musical 'The Crazy Ones' Will Depict Steve Jobs' 'Powerful Demons'

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A new musical centering around the founding of Apple Computers by Steve Jobs is debuting this month in New York. Developed at the New York Musical Festival, the Musical Theatre Factory, and the New York Theatre Barn, "The Crazy Ones" is billed as "a thrilling new original pop-rock musical" that aims to depict Jobs' genius as well as his "very powerful demons."
    The music and lyrics were written by award-winning composer Zack Zadek with a book by Alexander Pototsky, who've been working together on the idea for The Crazy Ones for over two years. Their creation will finally see its debut on March 15 at Feinstein's/54 Below in New York City. Those interested in attending can check out ticket pricing here.

This isn't the first time Steve Jobs' life has been the subject of dramatization outside of film -- last year it was announced that an opera depicting the Apple co-founder's life will debut in 2017.

Article Link: Original Musical 'The Crazy Ones' Will Depict Steve Jobs' 'Powerful Demons'

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 603

keysofanxiety

3. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

I can't wait to see the people in giant iPod costumes.

4. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

The big opening number: "Hello, I am Macintosh."

5. akb macrumors member

Apple Computer.

6. gpat macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone plan a musical for the portion of Steve's life before he was kicked out of Apple? It's obviously not the best one.

7. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Two movies and a musical? What next, a cartoon series, lunxh boxes, backpacks and a clothing line? To quote the movie
    Spaceballs....may the Schwartz be with you!

8. rdlink Suspended

rdlink

I am mystified why people are so incredulous that these movies, plays, etc. are happening.

The words Apple, iPhone, iPad, Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, etc. are the biggest click bait words in media. If a website or new agency wants clicks they grab anything with those words in the headlines, regardless of how dubious or inconsequential the story may be. It only stands to reason that the entertainment industry, which has had so few original ideas for the last, uh I don't know, 60 years would try to capitalize on Steve Jobs' name.

9. Cuban Missles, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

Cuban Missles macrumors 68040

Cuban Missles

Hello, it's Steve
    I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
    To go over beats
    They say that tim's supposed to feel ya
    But he's still selling 8gig phones dah

Hello, can you hear me
    I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be
    When we were younger and free
    I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet
    There's such a difference between Tim and Me
    And a million miles

Hello from the other side
    I must have called a thousand times
    To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
    But when I call you never seem to be home

Hello from the outside
    At least I can say that I've tried
    To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your Mac
    But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear Jony apart

10. ninjadex macrumors 6502

A thrilling musical lampoon at a supper club. OK.

Found some clips (get a load of the lyrics):
    http://www.zackzadek.com/thecrazyones

The "crazy ones" are the ones paying to listen to this crap while eating a meal.

11. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

"Powerful Demons" is just a different way of saying that he was an A55HOLE.

12. Nunyabinez macrumors 65816

Nunyabinez

Next time someone says "you are being a p***k" I'M going to say "No, I'm just dealing with Powerful Demons."

Actually maybe I'll start a death metal band and call it Powerful Demons.

13. Phil Stanton macrumors newbie

I live in New York and my wife and I actually saw a workshop of the show last year, it's pretty fantastic - liked it much better than the movies...I've read a bunch of the biographies (Walter Issacson etc.) and found it to be the best portrait of him - and it does deal with his firing.

14. actorkid macrumors 6502

I grew up with the writer Zack. Pretty brilliant kid. While I agree that enough is enough with the Steve Jobs entertainment trend, I have no reason to believe that the music will be anything other than outstanding.

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

He was an impressive person no doubt, but I mean two lack luster movies, a biography that wasn't an all time best seller, and now this? No Jobs production seems to be breaking any sales/revenue records so why continue with it?

16. Phil Stanton macrumors newbie

All I can say is that the show I saw was substantially different than all the others - it used the fact that it had music to give insight on Steve in a way that the others never seemed to...

17. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

The show was so unbelievable that you just had to sign up here and let everybody know. That good, eh?

18. H2SO4 macrumors 68030

Enough of what?

19. diipii macrumors 6502

This is just a way to redirect the spotlight away from the crass decisions of Cook and Ive. Maybe they see themselves as saviours, leaders or new prophets on a crusade. Either way they look too much like Apple's own Tony Blair for anyone to be comfortable. Jobs was who he was but at least he made good reliable computers that created the rosey glow of glory that Apple is still basking under. But glows fade and reality reasserts itself and that time is coming fast.
    Apple must ditch these two fakers, concentrate on computers for real work, forget "thinness" and listen to their engineers rather than "head in the clouds" designers and just build the best damn devices they can. Then they and the products will be worth the money.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2016 ---
    Total BS of course.

20. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

21. Baumi macrumors regular

Books and movies don't have to be all-time bestsellers to make money. (Although I'm sure the makers of the most recent Steve Jobs movie had hoped for a better ROI.)

Having said that, the idea of a Steve Jobs musical still sounds silly.