Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
All I can say is its about friggin time!

I'll get it when I can get the boxed set of all 3 (IV, V and VI).

Great news :D

D

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I haven't seen either of the new movies, and after meeting George Lucas, I don't plan on ever seeing them.

What do you mean? Is George a jerk in person?

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by Pismo
What do you mean? Is George a jerk in person?

I was "lucky" enough to meet him at a social event, and I didn't get a good impression. He was very arrogant, and seems to have lost his passion for Star Wars. A friend of mine asked him what he thought about critics saying the new Star Wars weren't as good as the original, and he said (This is the actual quote), "They're right. The movies aren't as good, and I don't really care about the quality as long as I make my money. People are dumb enough to see them because Star Wars is in the title. If they knew any better, they wouldn't waste their money"

I love the original trilogy, but you couldn't pay me to see the new films.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I was "lucky" enough to meet him at a social event, and I didn't get a good impression. He was very arrogant, and seems to have lost his passion for Star Wars. A friend of mine asked him what he thought about critics saying the new Star Wars weren't as good as the original, and he said (This is the actual quote), "They're right. The movies aren't as good, and I don't really care about the quality as long as I make my money. People are dumb enough to see them because Star Wars is in the title. If they knew any better, they wouldn't waste their money"

I love the original trilogy, but you couldn't pay me to see the new films.

No offense, but I don't beleive for a minute that that was ever said.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by bcstanding
FYI - These will be the Special Editions that were released in '97. I wish he would include both the original scenes and the redone ones on the DVD...

Argggghh! I want the original movies on DVD. I hate the way he remade Han Solo into a nice guy. Greedo DIDN"T shoot first!

Torajima

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Originally posted by mactastic
Argggghh! I want the original movies on DVD. I hate the way he remade Han Solo into a nice guy. Greedo DIDN"T shoot first!

LOL! Glad I bought the original LDs...

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Well its about time I have been waiting for this for quite some time now. I have the special edition boxed set. I was really hoping they would include the original and the special edition on the DVD set.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by Foxer
No offense, but I don't beleive for a minute that that was ever said.

One of the best things about freedom is we're allowed to believe what we want.

You don't believe that George Lucas ever said that quote, and you are entitled to believe that.

I was there, along with two of my friends and two of my professors, and they all heard Mr. Lucas make that comment about 3 years ago.

If you ever get a chance to meet the guy, you'll learn that he's an arrogant, greedy, ego-driven man. I used to look up to Mr. Lucas as a role model. His films made me want to get into the business.

I plan on seeing episode three because I've heard that his attitude has changed. Hopefully he's found what sparked him to create the three original films, and he's used that spark to create a masterpiece for episode three.

He made that comment, you can believe it if you want to, or you can call me a liar. Just because he said this 3 years ago doesn't mean that he still has the same attitude. Like I said, I've heard he has changed, hopefully for the better.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
On one hand, I'm ecstatic about this--I'm not the Star Wars maniac that some people are, but I grew up on those movies and have the laser disc set of the Special Edition (which, with the exception of the Greedo thing, the Wampa scene, and the final song, were an improvement).

On the other, I can't believe that they've waited this long to put out the set for any reason other than totally unreasonable profit. Really, the most demanded DVD set ever, and you put out a Laser Disc but not a DVD? It's gotten to the point that it's almost past milking and moving into just being cruel and insulting to fans.

I don't know whether Fox, Lucasfilm, or both is responsible, but whoever's to blame I'd really rather not give them my money, as much as I want those DVDs.

Interesting quote from Lucas, as well as the comment that maybe the passion came back with Episode III. I hope it's not true (on the quote), but it does seem to fit the facts, and in a way lines up with some comments Samuel L. Jackson made in an interview after Episode I came out.

There's certainly some greed in there somewhere, that's for sure, otherwise Lucas would've fought tooth and nail to get eps 4-6 out on DVD from the very start, since that's what the fans of his vision wanted.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Everything I've heard of Lucas from those in the industry jibes with him being a greedy SOB. I had a friend who worked for Fox making DVD boxsets. I asked my friend why no SW. He said that Fox regularly sent people up to Lucas ranch to beg him to release SW DVDs. He refused because he wanted to wait until the installed DVD user base was big enough to maximize his profits. But the "official" explanation was that he wanted to do a really good job making the set. Sure George. That's why you release it now instead of waiting until after EIII like you said you would. Again this also jibes with what a worker at Lucas Ranch told me about George.

BTW, my impression of Fox was that they were pretty disorganized and incompetent. My friend was hired as a DVD brand manager and at the time (about four years ago) didn't even own a DVD player (and even six months after the hire, didn't have a DVD player). And this was the person responsible for how the boxsets came out. I complained about the X-Files packaging at the time and he was totally clueless because he didn't OWN A DVD PLAYER. I also complained at the time of no Simpsons boxsets. He claimed that they just didn't have the manpower to put them out very fast but that they hoped to do them sometime in the future. Six months later Season One popped out.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I got the original "original" trilogy on DVD from eBay... obviously Hong Kong style but the quality of them was actually pretty good... I got them when I did so that I could have the original's knowing that I'll buy the "new" version when they come out in Sept. probably... or at least get them for Christmas...

bcstanding

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by Torajima
LOL! Glad I bought the original LDs...

I think my friend has them and since it looks like that will be the best quality of the "original" original trilogy, I'm going to see if I can get them encoded into our Avid and then create a DVD of that. (I work for a broadcasting company, so I get to play with all sorts of cool professional video equipment, even though I'm more of a PC support/web guy.)

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
I want * Empire * on DVD

The only truly great episode of the series. Better acting/directing/writing than the original, passable F/X, and a plot that is refreshingly not sing-songy happy.

I HATED the changes made to the film in the reissue. I hope Lucas does what Spielberg did w/E.T.--give you both the original and the "updated" version.

That would be cool.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Re: I want Empire on DVD

Originally posted by D*I*S_Frontman
I hope Lucas does what Spielberg did w/E.T.--give you both the original and the "updated" version.

That would be cool.

Unfortunately, not gonna happen. From the article:
So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I certainly hope that we aren't going to be disappointed yet again. If not now, then maybe once the second trilogy is completed. It would really be quite impressive to release all six Star War" films in a commerative DVD set. It has been done with "Indiana Jonee."

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I remember seeing an interview on TV before Episode 1 came out where Lucas said that he did not want to release any of the movies (on DVD) until Episode 3 was released, and then he would only let them release the movies in a 6 DVD box set. So it seems Fox has managed to force Lucas to release them early, good thing too.

MacRumorSkeptic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
Southern California
It sucks that its the special edition versions. I could go on and on about how poorly done they are, every change worse than the next. Wouldn't be surprised if in a few years Lucas decides to go ahead and offer the original untainted Star Wars Trilogy on DVD so he can have repeat sales. I URGE EVERYONE TO BOYCOTT THIS ABOMINATION AND TO DEMAND STAR WARS IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM!!!

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by hvfsl
I remember seeing an interview on TV before Episode 1 came out where Lucas said that he did not want to release any of the movies (on DVD) until Episode 3 was released, and then he would only let them release the movies in a 6 DVD box set. So it seems Fox has managed to force Lucas to release them early, good thing too.

What is going to happen is that they are going to sell the first 3 boxed set, and after the 3rd movie is put to DVD, they are going to sell a 6 DVD boxed set. So you are going to have to buy all 6 to get 1-3. I call that milking the cow for all she's worth.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I can see that the might of Fox has made it clear in no uncertain terms that they're losing out on a big money earner...

Thankfully, Lucas has seen the light. The other problem with his decision to keep them back was that there's a whole "lost generation" of prospective Star Wars fans out there that remain "untapped".

Luckily, I was 7 when the first Star Wars came out, so I was hooked from Day 1. It remains to this day the ONLY movie I ever saw where the entire cinema gave it a standing ovation when it was finished.

At the time - surrounded by throngs of clapping, "whooping" and "hooting" people, I still remember thinking to myself - "Why the heck are they applauding to a screen? Who do they think is going to take a bow - the projectionist?!?"

:rolleyes:

imac_japan

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Japan
Free speech

'***One of the best things about freedom is we're allowed to believe what we want.

YES ! RBmaraman - I don't believe you for a second !

Episode 1 was not perfect, Episode 2 was better but Please don't take US for fools...

If you have nothing to say of value then don't say it (or lie)

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Star Wars

I thought the worst part of the remake, in addition to the Greedo scene, was the battle where Jabba dies, when Han is shooting blindly at the tentacle pulling Lando into the sand; when Lando protests, in the original, Han says "Just trust me"; in the remake, he says "That's okay I can see much better now." Why they changed it, I'll never know.

Ward (from Fox) was quoted in USA Today as saying that the originals don't technically exist, which we all know isn't really true. Even if the 1970's film has degraded, they had to scan it in to make the remakes, and you can't tell me they didn't save that material.

One fun project might be to splice in scenes from the VHS version of the originals into the new DVD's, making your own custom edit. Anyone want to post a recipe for how this might be done?

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.