Original "think different" ad- MUST SEE!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thejazzman10, Mar 23, 2004.

1. thejazzman10 Guest

this is the original Think different ad!!! isn't that cool!! you have to see this!!

P.S. Could any of the moderators move this to "other mac topics" ? i couldn't find where to put it...Thanks in advance!!

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

when did the think different campaign start? i noticed the old rainbow logo at the end. they don't still use that logo, do they?

3. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

nope, this was from sometime around '97-98. They re did the logo i think with the launch of the B&W G3 Powermac in '99, no?

4. krisjon macrumors regular

I work in advertising and write/design ads for a living...Apple aside, that is still one of the best commercials of the last 20 years. Thanks to Lee Clow and the boys at Chiat/Day...great work.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I feel a nostalgic tear beginning well in my eye socket.

I somehow can't see the switcher campaign lasting so long in the memory.

6. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Thanks for posting this gem. Hopefully, Apple will manage to create another landmark ad like this one and '1984'.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Compare that to the ad for the powermac G5. Their advertizing seems to have lost a little in the creativity department. Let's hope a new campaign, and new computers grace the summer.

8. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Was there previously some lack of places to view this ad? Here are a couple hundred :D

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Good ad. But what the hell are Richard Branson and Ted Turner doing in it?

10. flashfil macrumors newbie

what are the copyright issues on this sort of thing

anybody know?

11. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

As cinema, it's great.

But was it effective in moving product?

Doubtful.

12. flashfil macrumors newbie

Moving product

I don't think thats a point of an advert like this. I can see why it wasn't shown though.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I love this ad. This is one of my favorite apple ads, if not my favorite. Shhh... dont tell anyone, but I like this one better than 1984!

14. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

I don't know who Richard Branson is, but Ted Turner, like him and his social / political views or not, was arguably one of the more innovative and even "daring" broadcasters - until he sold out to Time Warner, that is. Despite that, he still is a very vocal opponent of, among other things, centralization of the media (i.e. Clear Channel - I know it seems counterintuitive, but it's true), and at least is an outspoken proponent of conservation. 'Course, he IS the only dude in Atlanta selling Buffalo burgers (which are DEEELICIOUS, just in case you're wondering) at his several "Ted's Montana Grill" locations. . .

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

it was a few months before the B&W came out. pretty sure it was when the first imac came out.

16. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Great ad! However, I think apple needs to worry less right now about their image and more about the software they create and advertise that. They have a great image...in fact their image is so good that they are seen as very very different. That is somewhat the problem...they need to show people that their different is good...not just for creative folks, but everyone. Most people still are under the impression that Apple:

is for creative people and students

is so different I couldn't learn to use it cause I am not an art type person

can't play ANY games on the mac

doesn't have software for the mac like Quicken, Office, etc.

Some people still believe apple computers can't access the internet!

They need to have an ad that really shows the integration of the isoftware and how you can use itunes to add music to a slide show or movie, etc.

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, I guess so. But I'm still not sure he belongs in the same category as Einstein and Gandhi. Richard Branson is the CEO of Virgin Airlines/Records/Cell Phones. I'm *really* not sure he belongs in the same category as Einstein and Gandhi.

18. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i think it's pretty neat. it sounds like richard dreyfus did the voice, but i'm not sure. thing about the "think different" ad campaign, it has something of being unique, apart from the crowd, and really apple wants to push their product to be the crowd. it seems like it perpetuates their niche status. but hey they're really good machines. that's what matters.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sure. If you host it on your Web site, you are violating copyright. But I doubt Apple's going to sue anyone for running their ad for free.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ummm... the ad was shown quite a bit when it was new, and it was a very well-known ad... the number of parodies alone that it spawned... and it was at a very bad time for apple, jobs had just come back and there was some signifigant doubt about apple's ability to recover. they had sold out and were losing even their core users... had to do something to really give apple some flair as more than just a computer company.

the think different ad campaign that followed was a great blend of image and product... richard dreyfus did do the voice for this one, but the rest of the ads were jeff goldblum.

paul

21. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Geez guys. You really didn't know this ad?

This is THE most important ad by Apple since 1985's Lemmings Apple Office ad.

And like slowtreme already said, it's not like this ad wasn't available on the net before...

------

@ FriarTuck
    It's not about selling a product, but about a creating an image of an intellectual, superior (, somehat arrogant?) company.

------

@ phrancpharmD
    Richard Branson is the guy who founded Virgin.
    But why he's on this ad remains a mystery to me, too. :confused:

22. slowtreme macrumors 6502

You want to know why Branson was remarked as "one of the crazy people". Because he tends to THINK DIFFERENT. Look no further
    [​IMG]

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i believe they discontinued these plans.

anyhow, this ad IS one of the best ads in history. okay, the ad isnt' anything special. its the paragraph. its one of the most motivational, moving passages I have ever read/heard. apple gets an a+ for that. i agree with above posters, though, saying that apple needs more targeted message advertisment. this is too indirect.

24. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I know of him and what the does.
    But I just don't think he fits into an ad with Gandhi, Lennon, Picasso, etc. That's too much credit for Branson. He does what he does to get attention/publicity. Hence, I don't think he is really Think[ing] Different[ly].

But that's just my personal opinion of Branson. :)

25. JamesDPS macrumors regular

I'm just glad to have a copy of this one on my 'puter now -- GREAT ad. btw anyone know a good site with high-res versions of all the Apple ads? I liked the one with Hal that they showed before Y2K but haven't seen it anywhere ("You like your Mac better than me, don't you Dave?") but I haven't really looked. As for "switch" ads, the most memorable for me was Yo Yo Ma's... very effective, and it's just so classy the way he finishes with "My name is Yo Yo Ma, and I play the cello"...