Original Unreal and OSX

Discussion in 'Games' started by asphalt-proof, Sep 9, 2004.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

As part of a walk down memory lane, I purchased Unreal the other day. Unfortunately it opens in Classic. Is there a patch that enables it to be played in OSX? I googled it and only found general info like 'patch 226 beta'. Has anyone had experience with any of these patches or does anyone know if it can be played in OSX? And finally, if it has to be played in Classic, how do I improve performance.
    Thanks in advance
    Pete

2. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

By the way, I have tried version tracker, macsoft, unreal website etc. Any gamer help would be greatly appreciated.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Unreal??!! That game is old old! I definitely wouldn't expect to be able to play it in OS X-natively. It should have little trouble running in Classic, granted you can get it to use the hardware or software renderer. I think RAVE doesn't work properly. Good luck finding a patch because the game is too old, in my opinion, to have any possibility of an OS X patch developed.

If it was at all possible, you should've bought Unreal Tournament. Even then, I wouldn't recommend it because the OS X patch is still beta-material.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

Unreal Tournament and Unreal are two VERY different things. I still play Unreal from time to time. It is a single player game, and it's not a terrible one. It instilled as much fear in me as Doom 3 has...the thing about Unreal is that it didn't run well on hardware at the time...two years after it was released, Unreal was a MUCH more fun game. The poly counts were a little low at that point, but the game still looked great.

of course, that was on a PC.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unreal didn't work too well, in any case but Unreal Tournament did. The Mac OS X version preview worked better for some than others and is still in limbo although http://www.utpg.org/ has the code and was working on it, at least minimally.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Anybody tried the MacGlide (3Dfx glide emulator, using OpenGL) on this one?

It seems games like Carmageddon 2 and Falcon run very well using it.
    Unreal (original) also has a 3Dfx glide rendering engine, so it may work too.

7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

I'm told it was possible to open the original Unreal files from Unreal Tournament. That probably doesn't help you unless you have UT itself, and even then it's a tossup wether or not the OSX beta works well enough for you. I'm sure you can find a step by step somewhere online.

8. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I tried to run in Classic but it really sucked. My opinioin is that Unreal single player is really one of the longest, creepiest games. I was really hoping to play it again. I may try the Macglide thing to see if that helps.
    Pete

9. kilpajr macrumors regular

I remember playing the original unreal. I got to some point, not sure how far, and couldn't figure out where to go. I think I am going to try it again. Has anyone tried MacGlide?

EDIT: I'm a member now. Sweet. :cool:

10. DrBoar macrumors member

Love Unreal only topped by Marathon in my book :p
    Nothing like having the lights go out and then a skarj worrior leaping towards you to get really close and unfriendly :eek:

I think I boot my old OS 9 hard disk again and take a nervous stroll down memory lane :)

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Wow I have that exact same memory :D

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Me too!

Still got a Blue & White G3 with Voodoo 5 5500 for stroling back memory lane.... :)

13. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK,
    I downloaded the Macglide. The readme said that it was good for Unreal. Works much better now though I haven't figured out how to get it to full screen on my LCD iMac. Performance lags jut a bit when playing in a window. Any ideas?
    PS: This game is such a kick!! I feel like back in college with the lights off and the headphones on! A real trip down memory lane (though an abnormally bloody one!)

14. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

man, reading this thread was really exciting for me. I too used to play Unreal, not too long ago actually, as i only got OSX about a year ago. I much prefer single player games to the arena type games, although q3 is pretty sweet. Single player games are so much more involved and much scarier. I just remember that when i was playing through it, i got fed up and started using cheats, which i regretted once it was over.

Anyways, i'm happy this thread has a pretty happy ending, i was worried it would be a dead end. now i will go and download that glide thing and look for my unreal cd.

15. BugMeNot macrumors newbie

Hi, I know I'm a bit late to the discussion (came across this thread via Google looking for something vaguely related - not a Mac user myself), but I thought this might be of interest.
    There IS a patch for UT ('99) for OSX... but I can't find the web page at the moment. I'm pretty sure it was on SourceForge, or Freshmean, I DO have the file, though, and it's called 'utxp3.sit'. I googled for that and came across this site:

http://www.macgamer.com/features/?id=1168

...which seems to have mirrored downloads for the same file. I can't see any instructions, and from what I remember the patch is still 'beta', but it might be worth a shot

16. crachoar macrumors 6502a

That file you're talking about is the old, and terribly worthless, OSX beta (preview 3) launcher for Unreal Tournament. Lots of bugs. Poor FPS...etc.

The project has since been abandoned (due to the woman coding it switching companies). It has been picked up by Ryan Gordon (the man solely responsible for OSX and Linux gaming). Here is his page:

http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finger.pl?user=icculus

He's been having difficulties with the original UT code ever since he started working on it, and who knows when it'll finally be done...

:(

17. BugMeNot macrumors newbie

Ah :| Well, I beg your pardon then - shame, it sounded like it had a lot of potential, but I'm glad of the updated link!

18. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not ot pile on but...
    I was looking for an OSX patch fo the original Unreal not UT. I believe that this patch is for the orginal UT. Some previous posters mentioned Macglide. I have used that and the FPS went up dramatically. BUT I get to a certain point in the game and it crashes. Everytime at the same place. I haven't tried it without running Macglide running in the background so it may be that.