orkut

Discussion in 'Community' started by yuc7zhd2, Jan 14, 2005.

1. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

Is anyone on the forums a member of the Orkut social network yet? It's in beta now, so membership is dependent on being invited by a member. I'd appreciate an invite, and would be willing to send some out to posters on this thread if I get membership.

2. brap macrumors 68000

It sounds... like a bizarre cross between dating service, phpBB/etc forum, and cult! (Social bliss indeed. I'd be scared.)

How did you happen upon this, sir?

3. yuc7zhd2 thread starter macrumors regular

I was already a member of friendster.com, which is along the same lines, and came upon it through google. Friendster is cool for a 'six-degree's of Kevin Bacon' experiment among your own social circles. Theoretically, you could throw one hell of a friendster-based party with all of the first and second degree people you're connected to through actual real-world contacts, and not all of this sociopath online stuff. Its also pretty cool for when you move long distances and find people to hang out with who know your friends. The online dating aspect does exist, is quite odd, and definitely should be avoided, I must add. I thought I'd post this about orkut because its 'exclusive' and 'mysterious', so obviously I felt compelled to join (I'm a bit like tom cruise's character in Eyes Wide Shut).

4. yuc7zhd2 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I just went to the about link. That IS a bit queer.