OS 10.0.4 Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by heyimjustjoshin, Nov 30, 2006.

1. heyimjustjoshin macrumors newbie

i am running my iMac with OS 10.0.4, yes i know kinda old school, and i seem to be having major problems with it and i figured i would turn to you for help.

when i use internet explorer 5.5 it likes to crash when i go to certain sites to upgrade or download a different browser, and when i finally reach some sucess into downloading a new one, it downloads about half way and says its complete.... and i am also unable to download a sucessful instant messaging program on mine because i dont have Classic installed and OS isnt up to date enough.... rather then upgrading the OS what are some things that i can do?

2. heyimjustjoshin thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry internet explorer is 5.1

3. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Ummmm.....what do you expect from one of the very first releases of an OS? hahah..... Upgrade to 10.2.8 at the very least, and you will be sooooooo much happier. It's very cheap and will serve you well. If that is absolutely not an option, then at least do the free upgrade to 10.1

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why are you running such an outdated OS? You do know that 10.1 was free, right?

5. heyimjustjoshin thread starter macrumors newbie

no i did not, i am new to the mac world, how do i go about getting it

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Internet Explorer itself is no longer distributed and developed (Microsoft stopped years ago). You really should upgrade to at least Panther (10.3.x). The Mac OS has gotten much more optimized, fast, and user friendly, and feature-laden since 10.0.x.

FireFox and Safari both require 10.2.x, and the latest Safari requires even higher.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Check the Apple site under the support tab.

8. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I think (don't quote me on this) that you could go through SW Updates to get it.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Out of curiosity what browser are you trying to get? Because chances are, if it's a newer browser, it won't run under even 10.1.x...

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

You can't download the 10.1 update for 10.0 from software update. It was originally distributed on hard media, which Apple no longer distributes as far as I can tell.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

iCab is the only modern web browser that I can think of that will still work with 10.1.

12. heyimjustjoshin thread starter macrumors newbie

i prefer firefox and i have found a link off of mozilla's site to download an older version, that was a sucess to get to it, the downloading of it was the problem, as stated earlier it downloads half way and says it is complete..... and i was also interested in getting adium

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh yes... how could I forget iCab :rolleyes:

10.0 geez I still can't believe somebody out there is using that. Like that wasn't even a real end-user release of Mac OS X. I don't think any Mac shipped with that. Soooo slow and unrefined.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's easy to forget iCab because it's such a crap web browser, IMO.

Agreed with the 10.0 comment. Terribly buggy and incomplete.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Upgrade to at least 10.2.8 you should be able to get it very cheap off of ebay.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You could use an OLDER version of Safari or Firefox. I still use 0.9 on my laptop. and 1.5 on everything else.

18. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I believe Safari, even the oldest versions, REQUIRE Jaguar to even run... nevermind the newer (AKA more functional) versions. Early Safari is pretty outdated now—especially in terms of its rendering engine. A Safari build that would run on Jaguar will give you WAY more errors on pages that it renders correctly now, since it has none of the myriad fixes to WebKit.

Honestly, unless the OP's machine is just an absolutely unbelievably old one, it'll run better with Panther or Tiger at the helm (assuming there's enough RAM there).

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Actually, even if it an old one, it will still run better. Remember how much faster Jaguar was on everything?

20. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

2001 iMacs shipped with both OS9 and OS10.0 and could dual boot