OS 10.2.3 freezes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elensil, Jan 18, 2003.

1. elensil macrumors regular

Hi guys.

I had recently installed 10.2.3 update, as well as the PowerMac Firmware update. Now from time to time programs freeze, and can't be force quited. Shut down doesn't work, since some programs did not quit yet. I am forced to shut down manually, thats not healthy.

Any advice?

2. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

does the entire computer freeze, mouse and all? if not, you can always try keeping process viewer in the dock and quitting the errant app. you could also try using escapepod (www.ambrosiasw.com) as a startup item to force-logout if things freeze. let us know what kind of apps are freezing on you. the only hard-locks i've had in 10.2 (nothing moves, not even the cursor) were once launching kde and twice using the finder's built in ftp (this always crashes, it's just a matter of time).

3. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

Mouse remains active the entire time.

Things that were frozen were: Word, Safari, Classic Environment and once Finder.

Would reinstalling original Jaguar help?

I had noticed no improvements with 10.2.3. only problems, a lot of people at www.apple.com support had similar and worse problems with that seeding.

4. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Use Terminal to Force Quit Apps

Were you able to open other programs while certain ones were frozen? If so, then did you try to force quit the frozen apps in Terminal? Just type "top" to find out the program's ID number, then type "kill [ID number]" to force quit the program. This almost always works for me if I can't quit a program with Cmd-Option-Esc. I don't know how well Process Viewer works for this, as I've never tried quitting an app with it.

5. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

thats a nice solution, i wonder why does it happen at all?
    Before that i never had a single problem