OS 10.2.3 sleep crashes - more

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by giovanni, Jan 15, 2003.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

I have already posted on this. I was hoping I had a solution in avoiding to leave any network related apps running. Well, the problem actually persists. What I have established is that I am allowed to wake it up from sleep ok just once. Then, what happens is that it just does not go into sleep entirely: the screen does, but the fans are still on and the power button is on, instead of going up and down. AND .... THE COMPUTER IS DEAD, I have to restart the whole thing. So, once again I am looking for ideas...

thx,
    gio

2. krhodus macrumors member

krhodus

3. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

sorry forgot to mention that. It is a Dual 867 - I know these machines have had tons of troubles with the sleep feature but I am still hopefull it is solvable. By the way is there a way to reinstall Jaguar w/o deleting the entire hard disk and the various docs/data, settings ... ? This is case reinstalling the OS woud be a possible cure (I doubt it though)

thx,
    gio

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

You could do a clean install of Jaguar (Archive and Install feature on the disk), but I would rather recommend refreshing the Hard Drive and installing, IF you plan on doing any system installations.

I also suggest repairing your permissions (from the Jaguar CD 1) and updating your firmware. Check info.apple.com and search for the appropriate firmware for your model machine, if it has to be updated.

If any advice you receive here does not help the situation, post your question over at www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2 and include your computer model, RAM quantity, and issue as explciitly as possible. The person running the site is an Apple Technition and should be able to provide better knowledge if what you receive here is, again, to little or no avail.

5. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

thx

I think I am pretty much up to date. AND ... I have a new problem with this mac: now it does not even see either the cd and dvd burners !!!

I don't know what is going on here.

best,
    gio

6. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

firmware update check

My system profiler says that the boot rom is 4.4.8f2. I think I read somewhere that it means I have the most recent firmware update - does it make sense to you ?

thx again,
    gio