OS 10.2 Upgrade CD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Atomic, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Atomic macrumors newbie

I was lucky enough to get my hands on OS the 10.2 update CD from a friend who just got her 17" iMac delivered.

The upgrade/install ran flawlessly (much the same as it did from 10.0 -> 10.1). I think alot of people will be happy with 10.2, it feels more refined, runs smoother and quicker overall. QuartzExtreme makes a big difference to system graphics performance.

I just love it :)

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is it an actual upgrade cd or a full install cd?

how many cds are there, etc?

3. ecino1 macrumors member

I have also been lucky enough to get my hands on the 10.2 CD's. Apple is not seeling 'upgrades' so each 10.2 set of CD's will contain a full install and will cost $129 no matter what you do with it. When you run the installer you get the option to upgrade, clean install or format and install. I found the upgrade took quite long compared to other Apple OS installations i've done. On my G4 400 it took about 1 hour total. The 10.2 package is 3 Cd's: 1 is the main OS and the 2nd is the applications such as ichat and some fonts and drivers. And of course the Dev cd is also included.

4. Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

Its definately an upgrade only CD. The installer looks for previous versions of OSX and only lets you install over it. There is no option to install a full clean installation.

My upgrade took about 15 mins (dual G4 800MHz )

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i didn't think there were upgrades... weird

ecino, did you get yours from someone who just got a new computer or what?

curious to see if some folks got upgrade cds and some got full....

6. Atomic thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it is weird ... makes me wonder if Apple will announce an upgrade path (retail) in the near future :confused:

7. dnte42 macrumors regular

Hrm...so upgrade only? I was hoping to wipe the HD and do a clean install (for the heck of it, if nothing else). If I have to install the other versions it won't be worth it. Seems a little strange that an update CD would be shipped with a new computer (unless 10.1.5 was pre-installed).

8. ecino1 macrumors member

I have a version one from a friend who got the new imac. When I installed it it seemed as if it was a full version cd. I had the uptions to upgrade, clean install, and format and install. I don't think that apple is making upgrade cd's for Jaguar, since it is $129 regardless wheather you upgrade or do a full install.

9. ecino1 macrumors member

Oh by the way. I dont really notice a huge speed difference from 10.1. IS this because my graphics card in my G4 400 AGP (ATI Rage 16mb) is not supported in quartz extreme? Or is my machine just too slow?