OS 10.4.1 Tiger (as a whole) Has made my computer Faster!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, May 20, 2005.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I finally received my copy of Tiger. It took 20 days to get here :( (being in iraq suck) :p

Anyway. I backed up my stuff on a external Hard drive... Erased and Installed Tiger. Immediatly updated to 10.4.1 before doing anything else....

My iBook 14' 1.33Ghz, 768MB of ram, 60GB HDD combo drive.... Is So much faster now.... at least in general OS use, browsing around, the normal stuff.... I am amazed.

Also My activity monitor reports 500ish MB of ram free upon boot up as opposed to Panther I had 340ish.... I wonder why?

This is outstanding. I have been messing around for about 2 days and Not a problem yet. Thanks apple

2. scu macrumors regular

I think this may be one of the best reasons to upgrade to Tiger. I don't have a G4 iBook, but I recall hearing from the local Apple Rep at Comp USA that Tiger will improve the speed of the G4 laptops.

This is something Apple will never really advertise. They want people to upgrade their computers if they want increased speed. A few more upgrades to Tiger and it will really rock.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

My PB G3 is (generally) faster too.
    Go Apple!

4. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a 1 GHz 12" iBook and I just got Tiger too...A LOT faster! My startup time was cut in half, or more!!! I am so impressed with the new OS right now. Erase & Install definitely did the trick; I recommend it to anyone that's upgrading. :D

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm running 10.4.1 on my PB and PM in my sig. I just enabled Quartz 2D Extreme full time and i'm blown away by the speed. Not only are the 3d animations fast, but the 2D graphics (scroll bars, etc) are smooth as butter. I have always thought the UI in the past has been a little jumpy... :eek:

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I believe you too. I think you only see the real speed benefits if you do a clean install.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Let's see...what happened when I updated to Tiger...

Boot time is about 5 seconds shorter :)
    Mail is MUCH faster than before :D
    Carbon Copy Cloner no longer works :(
    The GUI is slightly more responsive than before :)
    10.4.1 fixed the sluggishness of Spotlight :D