OS 10.4 tiger install problem (mac just shuts off)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trunkx, Dec 21, 2005.

1. trunkx macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2005
    Hi i have a power PC G4, 450mhz 256 Ram and 20 gig hard drive. i just installed the 20 gig into the mac. My old drive had os 9.0.4 the problem im having is when i boot from the tiger dvd the first page loads where it shows the apple then when it gets to the blue screen right after loading the mac just powers off. does anybody know what could be causeing this when im trying to install tiger. i have reset the prom and still the same thing happens. i have also upgraded the firmware to 4.2 i think it was. any help is great cause im stuck right now.. also i wanted to add that it does the same thing with my old hard drive in it that has 9.0.4 on it.

2. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Try booting the tiger CD without your new Hard Drive connected, and see if it gets you to the install screen.

It is quite possible you have a bad drive that is either drawing too much power, or doing something that is causing your system to shutdown.
  3. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    very strange. i had a similar issue happen with my powermac g3 b&w. mine was due to a hardware issue....cheers........