OS 10.5 run well on current intel macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, Mar 14, 2006.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    I dont know alot about the Mac side yet... But I know with windows (sorry i have to comare the 2) But with windows, the latest version usually needs some of the best hardware around to run great.

I know 10.5 is far off yet... but will the current intellimacs run it well? I know people use Tiger on old 800MHz G4's with 256MB of Ram.... I just dont want to be obsolete and run slow when 10.5 comes out, you know.

Thanks alot
  2. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I very much doubt you have anything to worry about :)

I have an 800Mhz iMac with 512Mb ram, it came with 10.1 and OS9 installed, and now runs 10.4, and funnily enough it's alot faster than it was! Yes, thats right, apple makes their OS better, slicker and faster with each major update, not slower like some other developers :)

Talking about running modern OS's on old Macs,my dad used to run 10.3.9 on his old G3 powermac, 350Mhz and 640Mb. The UI was a little slow but it ran all the apps just fine, even photoshop was pretty much just as useable as it was under OS9, Just took it a little longer to apply filters etc. :D

I can't see it being any differant going from 10.4 to 10.5 on intel or PPC :cool:
  3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    Actually, 10.5 should run even better/faster on intelmacs than 10.4 does now, since it will be even more optimized for the new cpu's & gpu's, and by the time it comes out, even more apps will be universal.... so less need for Rosetta = more native speeeeedddddd............ :)
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    While I agree that there shouldn't be a problem, anything anyone says is PURE SPECULATION. Leopard hasn't been seeded to anyone who hasn't signed a non-disclosure agreement with legal-happy-Apple Computer Inc.
  5. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I'm pretty sure(willing to bet my iMac G5) that 10.5 will run fine on intel Macs
  6. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    10.5 will run flawlessly on your Intel Mac, provided there aren't any serious bugs. Unlike Microsoft, Apple actually takes the time to optimize their future OS's to run well on current hardware.