Os 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by topgun072003, Oct 28, 2006.

1. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I installed leopard on my external and was booting to it fine, but when I installed tiger on a different partition it doesn't recognize either os when I press option at startup. It does show them in my sys pre>startup disk but when I press restart it just shows a finder icon with a question mark and boots up from my internal drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of machine do you have and is it a Firewire connection to the external drive? :)

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, I think the Intels will boot over USB2.0 as well (IIRC). Presumably the leopard external was attached when you installed Tiger? I wonder if it unblessed it somehow.

4. topgun072003 thread starter macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I have a powerbook G4 and I'm booting from a firewire 800 cable.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, wait, sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post. Both OS's are on the same external drive on different partitions? And it worked before installing Tiger (i.e., it booted Leopard)? I'd try reinstalling Leopard on the off chance that installing an older OS screwed up both installs.

6. topgun072003 thread starter macrumors 6502

topgun072003

well a problem to that is that I installed leopard off of a disk image, that was on a 3rd partition. Now it won't show any when I press option at startup. So I can't even re-install unless I get a dual layer DVD.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Why not use the Developer DVD? :confused: It's DL?

8. topgun072003 thread starter macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Oh sorry for that... I don't have it with me. I figured I'd be fine if it was on my external. Obviously I was mistaken.

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Uh ooh. Looks like someone's got a pirated version of Leopard!

EDIT:
    I stand corrected.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, I'm running with the guess that installing an older OS after a newer one on a different partition on the same drive wreaked havoc on things. Hopefully, there wasn't much of value (even Disk Utility sees nothing?). I'd wipe, repartition (using Tiger), reinstall Tiger, then install Leopard.