OS 11 could use Java's Looking Glass (Not a rumor)

Discussion in 'Community' started by web_god61, Jun 16, 2004.

1. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

This isn't really a rumor but more of a I think it could happen kind of thing. Do you guys think that the next Mac OS might use Java's Looking Glass technology. Java says it will support linux and since OS X is built on Darwin I belive, Apple will probably continue building ontop of linux.

For those of you who are reading this and going what is this guy talking about. Here's a link to Java's Looking Glass, theres screenshots and a video, it looks like some interesting stuff you should check it out. I think somes already posted the Looking Glass link before. And NO as of this date you
    can't download it.

Link: http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/index.html

*Corrected thanks Sun Baked

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

OS X is based on Darwin, but Darwin is not in any way related to linux. They are two totally separate code bases with totally different roots.

But besides that, I just can't see this happening. Why would apple use technology from another company to do what it could essentially do all by itself and probably do better. Apple may indeed one day do something with a 3d desktop, but its probably a long ways off, and its not like Sun are the only people with ideas along those lines.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Looks like a 3d perspective Expose and Finder

Honestly, it does what Expose does, with the addition of multiple desktops. I would imagine, as GPU power increases and QuartzExreme evolves, the Finder and Expose could get a perspective look and feel to them.
    Based on the few demo sahots, I am not sure how much this helps productivity. And I am wary of basing my interaction with the mchine on Java. To date, its been nice, but filled with issues, and slowness at times. Many Java applications are fine, but the underlying desktop management might be a bit taxing on some systems.

Of course, Apple could take this idea, and evolve it to something novel and useful to us all, and we would look back and wonder how we survived in the dark ages of OS X..... Ahhh Apple.....

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Right on, web_god61. I'd like to see Looking Glass-influenced 3D effects in Exposé and the rest of the Finder.

6. maat macrumors newbie

I like the way Looking Glass looks a lot more than OS X (aqua)
    how about apple just gets rid of Aqua and slaps Looking Glass on in its place...

(I know there is a lot more to it than that! jeeeeeez!)

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

he...

Have you seen the latest version of Longhorn? It has something akin to Quartz extreme called 'Glass' (sound familiar?), and does indeed have what looks to be a cross between expose and Looking Glass. (When you do the 'expose' thing, it stacks all the open windows in a 3-D way). Add to that transparent windows and window shadows, and it's looking more and more like OSX every day.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

No, I haven't seen it. People may complain that Apple/Sun/Microsoft steal ideas from each other, but I don't mind in this case. I think the competition keeps them all on their toes!

9. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

You know, Looking Glass looks cool at first but after a while it would get annoying.
    The User Interface designers would really need to know what they were doing to pull it off right.

10. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

To be honest, I don't really like it. I'd rather see new uses for the operating system, not new views of old uses, if you follow.

New things to do in the home and at work with the machine are really meaningful.

11. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I agree. While looking glass looks neat at first the coolness factor quickly wears off and you realize is all flash and no substance. Atleast anything over Aqua.

The 3d windows dont do anything except they look like they have a side when they are pinned to the side of the screen. Other than that they don't do anything useful. Spinning around a window and writing notes and stuff will also be almost useless. And face it for the non-geek that will confuse the hell out of people.

The expose wanna-be effect is probably the worse. Not only does it make finding windows harder, IMO. but again will completely confuse most lay-people. At the least they could make it so you cant do stupid stuff like flip all the windows upside down. Since that has ABSOLUTELY NO USE AT ALL. Expose is vastly superior because it has real functionality. I can hit a button and windows will intelligently slide into a place where i can tell where they were in the first place then find a window and bring it to the front in about .5 seconds. With the spinning carousel you're going to be spinning through that thing for atleast a few seconds as you try to find where the window got randomly swept up into the carousel.

And speaking of M$'s glass Again another clueless hack job. The way the windows are stacked makes no sense at all and doesnt really help anyone fine anything. 99% of the window content sans the top window are covered, and so is 90% of the title. Its the windows task bar but in 'teh 3D!!!' Having stacks of windows with no clue as to the content and the only visible part of the title being "Microsoft Int..." isn't helpful at all

12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

It looks neat and fun to play with, but I could see it getting really annoying really quickly. Also I don't see the point of stickies on the back of windows. And Sun needs to work on the look and feel too, because while Looking Glass is neat, its definately not pretty.

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Project Looking Glass may well be one of those things that people look at, declare to be the next coolest thing, and then promptly forget about because it's too different an approach.

I agree that while the glitz-and-glamour of it look neat, it remains to be seen as to how usable any of it actually is. The descriptions have that air of idealism often used by those excited by a new paradigm that most of the computing public will never understand, let alone use.

Still, I'd like to try it out before drawing any conclusions. It's been so long since anyone did something different in the UI space than the basic rectangles in a screen envisioned by PARC decades ago....maybe there'll be something substantial in it, who knows?

Which reminds me, I should go and actually read the emails from their mailing list.... :eek:

14. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

The whole idea of 3D intrerface is cool and Sun have done the best job of it to-date but I REALLY don't like Looking-Glass.

That preferences page looks like a first week Photoshop user mucking around... dreadful. Plus, why would I want stuff skewed on the screen... I either want to see it flat on or hide it.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doubtful that Steve Jobs would choose any Sun/Java technology over anything NeXT-based.

Look back at the history of NeXT computer and you'll see that Steve Jobs was shopping OpenStep to people as a platform independent technology, with input from Sun.

Then Sun ****cans OpenStep in favor of Java.

16. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

if I remember correctly wasn't their something about how apple was going to have a 3d interface, like a ball or something. I dunno maby it was a dream or somthing but.... its cool to dream about.