Os 11

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Oct 20, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

So now, after all these years (what like 5?) Windows has a clone of OSX that may actually have some advantages since the follower always has the advantage of taking everything that people liked about predecessor and then building on top of.

Now I want to know whether or not anyone has any info or at least what people have speculated about OS 11. OSX has been out for a lot longer than previous generations of Mac OS generally each were (tho I know OSX was a much bigger leap).

Anyway, so anyone have any ideas about what might be in store with an OS 11 and/or when it might come out?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Works on generic pcs.

Before someone says it: I do NOT think that it wil go to OS X 10.11 , 10.12, ect

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Please, let's not start this argument again. Even if you honestly think that it will be part of OS XI, how about adding some other features, just to head off the inevitable flaming. Trust me, you'll thank me. :cool:

I suppose in OS XI I would like to see more of the same, more stability, more eye candy, more I-didn't-know-I-needed-it-until-Steve-unveiled-it-at-MWSF goodness.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

10.11 is a smaller number than 10.2 so there is no way apple can do that, because then they would just look stupid!

now...

OS XI RUN EXE files in full compatibility of a winders environment!

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Um. No.
    Then developers would stop developing for the Mac, and then we'd be open to viruses. So, no.

6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Here we go again...

I'm running 10.4.7 right now. There is no such number. Apple looks stupid now. :rolleyes:

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

There has been NO speculation on OS 11, we barely know much about 10.5!

OS 11 is 5+ years away from now. End of story.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10.11 is only smaller if we're talking decimal numbers. We are not dealing with decimal numbers here, the version after 10.9 is 10.10

9. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

not this again....

10.1.1 is smaller than 10.2

10.11 is bigger than 10.2

we are not talking about mathematical notion of 10.11 and 10.2 here...

i'm so amazed there are people who can't understand this notion i dont even know where to begin my bashing

i'm sure this will be even farther beyond your ability to comprehense, but i believe the OP is talking about, NOT OS 10.11, but OS XI, aka OS 11

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

This isn't really true though at all. the previous generation came out in 1984, and last until what, 2000. Even if you want to argue the big leap to OS 8 was a big change, that one stuck around for years too (in various incarnations like 8.5, and OS 9, which are all basically the same thing with new features)

Apple changed the numbering system when they went to OS X. Major releases are now counted as 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, etc. Previously, the big releases were in .5 numbering systems (7.5, 8, 8.5, 9). So no, OS X hasn't been out longer than its predecessors, the numbering system changed is all. The reason for doing this is likely because apple uses OS X as a brand name. So immediately going from OS 10, to 10.5, to 11, to 11.5 (which is where we would be now if they continued under the old numbering system) would hinder that branding effort.

In answer to your question, there is no info about what would be in OS 11, because that doesn't even mea anything. Do you mean the next big release, cause thats going to be tiger. Do you mean the next generation operating system, cause OS X is probably going to be around for the next ten years or more at least. Do you mean when they change the numbering system (say, after 10.9 if they get that high before changing it), that doesn't necessarily mean there will be a big change. So your question is completely unanswerable unfortunately. The only thing out that really means anything is how will OS X continue to evolve. And the answer to that will be probably lie in further integration with other parts of our lives (tv, video, music, websites, scheduling, etc).

11. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

we are using tiger now, the next one is leopard (but of course, i'm sure you know this already)

the revision after 10.9 is 10.10, not 11.. they could well, technically let the OS become OS 11 at any point, not necessariyl after 10.9... gosh!

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Who knows, Apple might surprise us and drop the numbering system all together.

13. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Like, OS Y? Hehe. Eh, just a joke.. :eek:

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Here's a WAG:

How about OSXI introduces a radical new user interface? I mean, the mouse and keyboard have been around forever, right? Hopefully by the time 11 rolls around we'll have the computing power, the human interface knowledge and the software expertise to try something new.

How about voice command? Yeah, I know, it sucks now but we're talking about the future here. Who wasn't wanted to walk into their home and say "Computer, Earl Grey Tea, Hot"?

Or how about a 3D interface? Display technology has come a long way. There are #D displays out there now that don't require glasses. All we need is someone clever enough to design an intuitive interface.

What about touch screens? We could use the keyboard, the mouse, the camera or the screen itself to interact with what's on the screen.

I think the next revolution will be in how we interact with our computers.

15. NJuul macrumors 6502

There will never be an OS XI. Just try and say it, it sounds stupid. OS X is the name of the current technology behind our macs, not a version number. Steve said OS X would be powering our macs for 20 years or so, so it's likely we will see a 10.11 some day.
    I bet the next step from OS X is something like "microsoft killer v.1" and runs on every computer in the world, including commodore 64.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

How do you pronounce it? Oh-ess-ecks? Because if so, that's wrong ;). It's Oh-ess-ten . Why would Oh-ess-eleven be any worse?

17. NJuul macrumors 6502

Of course I pronounce it OS X, why shouldn't I, it's what it says on the box. and so will 90% of everyone else, which is what really matters. It's all about branding, and OS X looks a hell of a lot better than OS XI. And how does Steve pronounce it? As far as I know, OS X is the name of the technology, OS 10.4.8 is the version number of the latest mac os.
    In my oppinion, it's no longer OS ten. we went from os 6-7-8-9- to something new. If the old ways had been followed, it would have been os XIII by now.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Steve calls it OS Ten. He's always called it OS Ten and made a big song-and-dance about calling it OS Ten when it was launched. The ads refer to it as OS Ten, everyone from Apple ever interviewed about it calls it OS Ten.

X means Ten in Roman numerals, it's a number, not a letter. How do you say "1?" You don't, you say "one."

19. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Here's to hoping OS 11 will be totally internet based. I'm with Larry, I think boxed software is one of the stupidest things- IN THE WORLD.

20. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

you may pronounce it osx, and there may be a big giant x on the box, but it's still incorrect. and in steves keynotes, he pronounces it os10.

and yes, it is branding, but branding changes. the term osx is ~5 years old now, and I would guesstimate that it will be another 5 years old by the time they decide to call it os11. thats more than enough time to warrant a change.

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

listen to any recent MacWorld or WWDC stream. Steve clearly says OS Ten every time.

22. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Jesus, we've had two posts out of more than twenty that actually talk about what new technologies could be in the next OS, and everybody else arguing about what to call it.

Forest. Trees.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Kettle. Black.

24. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I have yet to see a response to the OP from you, smarty pants :p

25. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

also 10.10 is the exact same thing as 10.1

so in theory Apple has already released 10.4000000000

:p

has apple ever in history released something like that (10.11)

BTW tons of companies release things as 10.4.7 with a 2nd decimal! but ive never seen something like 10.11