OS 8 Crashes?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pipian, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Pipian macrumors regular

As soon as I log into OS 8, the Mouse stops moving and it crashes.. It might work for 2 seconds, but it invariably happens... What can I do besides holding down shift at startup?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Re: OS 8 Crashes?

Are you saying that it doesn't crash when you hold down shift at startup? If so, then it is an extension conflict. Disable all 3rd party extensions and control panels and see if that fixes it. If it does, then try various configurations until you find the source of the problem.

3. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Have you rebuilt the desktop file? Hold down command-option as the desktop appears, and click "ok". That may do the trick.

paul

5. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

6. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Have you tried booting from the OS 8 system CD? If so, you can always reinstall the system (backup your Preferences folder first if you want), no?

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

8. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Are you able to boot from the OS 8 CD? If so, try running the disk diagnostic programs (I forget what they're called) and see what they say. Also try booting from external disks or other diagnostic CDs if you have any.

9. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Yeah, I'd start saving for something newer than 7 year old OS.

10. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

-_- I have a G4, I'm just trying to get the Powermac to work... Ah well.. I'll just have to find OS 9 somewhere around here...

11. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I don't think OS 8 will even work on a G4. If I recall correctly you need minimum of OS 9, with some newer systems needing OS X.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: OS 8 Crashes?

The oldest version of the MacOS capable of booting a Power Mac G4 is MacOS 8.5.1. If you are not using the CD that shipped with your computer, then you should look up your computer on the Apple History website to see if your OS can boot our computer.

13. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

No, I was referring to the Power macintosh 5200 that i have...

14. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You could have a memory module that went bad on you. See if you can boot from a CD. I would use something like Norton Utilities and test the hard drive and see if there are any corrupt system files. I would see if you can put a fresh copy of Mac OS 8 on there.

If your looking to put OS 9 on a PM5200 I would make sure you have enough RAM to support that. I personally wouldn't put anything more then Mac OS 8.6 on a PowerMac 5200. I believe they only have a 75 MHz processor so that would run a little on the slow side as well.