OS 9.1 File Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TEG, Dec 20, 2002.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Hi,

I have a customer who's computer I upgraded to 9.1 from 8.1 doing a clean install. The only problem is that the "Find File" app from 8.1 seems to think that it is 9.6GB, when there is only a 3 GB HD. Norton cannnot fix it, and when I open it up in ResEdit, it says the data for is in excess of 2GB in size. Is there anyway to repair the file so it can be deleted or does the HD need to be reformated?

~TEG::

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: OS 9.1 File Problem

Why are you running the Find File app from 8.1 in 9.1? I don't believe this will work. Sherlock took over for find file.

Maybe your could explain the problem again. The more I read it the more confusing it is.

3. TEG thread starter macrumors 604

TEG

I'm not trying to run "Find File", I'm just trying to delete it. It is the last reminant of 8.1 on the machine.

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Re: OS 9.1 File Problem

it will indeed... I don't know what version I have, but I've saved it from earlier releases to put on any machine that I run 9.x on, and it works beautifully... a lot better than sherlock in 9.x (really glad they separated file finding and that other stuff in jag)

5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

As I understand, you have a messed up Find File app file and want to delete it?

If Norton can not fix this problem, I think HD reformat is the way to go. By reformatting the drive, you also eliminate a possible future side effects of this messed file.

Is your copy of Norton compatible with OS 9.1 I guess? If you are not so sure, go and check Symantec's site for compatibilty. I've had troubles with older Nortons in the past.

Speaking of Norton, current Norton for OS X thinks there's no hard drive on my machine! Symantec says the current version has this serious problem with 10.2.2. I wonder how the hell did this happen???

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Off topic. Norton is a real problem. I'm looking for a new job here in town and Symantecs Headquarters is here. Maybe I can get a job there and help get Norton straigtened out.:)

On topic. Have you used any of the third party deleting programs? I suspect that Norton probably screwed up the program when you ran a defrag. If this is at all the case you need to reformat the drive and reinstall to ensure a stable system.

7. TEG thread starter macrumors 604

TEG

1: The System works fine
    2: Norton Did not screw up this file, this file was like this when I first arrived at the computer. Nothing in the way of maintence had been performed in its life span.
    3: I cannot reformat the drive, They have no way to back up the HD and their personal files (It was a big deal just to go from 8.1 to 9.1)
    OFF: If Norton were actually to create System Works for Mac from scratch insead of just rehashing the Windows version we'd be a lot happier.

8. yamadataro macrumors 6502

If you can afford them, try other file repair programs.
    I think there are a couple of major ones other than Norton.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Definitely. Disk Warrior is the first and final answer to all problems OS9 related.