Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdubguy209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
i have a b&w g3 with os 9.2. it says theres some kind of system error, and i want to completely format everything and start over with osx tiger. i have tiger in my possession, but i dont know how to no goto the screen that tells me theres a problem and restart.

I want EVERYTHING gone off the hard drive and start new with a new os. can anyone help me?

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
If your B/W has an DVD drive, just put disk in and hold down 'c' key to boot off optical drive. Assuming the Tiger disk is a DVD. If the B/W has an CD drive then that won't work, you'll need to get Tiger on CDs. By the way, what is the error you are getting?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
You cannot boot off the DVD by holding down C when starting up the machine (with the DVD in the drive, of course)?

Edit: Way too slow... two minutes... that's embarrassing... :eek: ;)

Edit2: Have you updated the B&W to the latest firmware?

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
You may need the B&W firmware update to be able to install Tiger.

But otherwise, insert the first install disc (i hope you've got Tiger on CD rather than DVD...) and hold down the C key while starting up to boot from the CD.

During the install process, on the screen where it asks you what drive to install to, check the Options... and choose "Erase and Install"

Edit: its ok Mitthrawnuruodo - even slower!!

vdubguy209

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
if the osx tiger im using is for a ibook, will it still work?? cause it keeps saying that i need to hold down shift to turn off extensions. i turn off extensions and it tells me the same thing. i tried holding down the c button and still nothing.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
vdubguy209 said:
if the osx tiger im using is for a ibook, will it still work?? cause it keeps saying that i need to hold down shift to turn off extensions. i turn off extensions and it tells me the same thing. i tried holding down the c button and still nothing.

no it wont work you have to buy a retail version of OS X.

Also it is illegal to install the iBook version on another computer.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
vdubguy209 said:

I'm assuming you're talking about the iBook Restore DVD? If so, that will ONLY work with an iBook G4. That would explain the error message that says you need to restart.

So you would be required to buy the retail version as previously said. Also, I would make sure you have the latest firmware version installed BEFORE you attempt the OS X installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.