OS 9.2 - web browser options (if any?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Westside guy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi gang,

I have an older professor who has refused to move to OS X - he's still running OS 9 on his Powerbook. We recently did a web redesign that basically doesn't work in Internet Explorer 5.1 (not my fault, actually - the templates were mandated at the College level. While I've done some clean-up work, there are limits...)

As any of you who are in an academic environment know, just telling him "sorry, we don't support old, out-of-date operating systems" is not going to work. :D Also, there's no way my department will sanction my putting in the (likely) weeks of work it'd take to get the new site working under old IE.

Mozilla development for OS 9 died a while back, and of course IE will not be updated. So is there a mostly CSS-compliant web browser that'll work under 9.2?

Thank you for your help!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Sorry this does not solve your issue but sorta funny (not really). I did a redesign of our colleges front page, all css and xhtml, I was then told... um, you can't do this, we need to support netscape 4.5.... AHHHHH!!!!!

So, all my donated time flushed down the drain because they feel the need to support netscape 4.5. I mean come on!

Good luck finding a browser, I think looking at the last version of netscape for os9 might be the best solution or even seeing if there is still or ever was, can't remember, a version of mozilla for os9.

Maybe you need to look into hiding cretin styles from IE5.1. You could make the site accessible for older browsers but sacrifice the design... the powers of css :)

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Opera? have no idea if it supports css or xhtml, think so though.

5. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Thanks all. I've now told him about Netscape 7.02 and about Opera 6 - neither is current, but both are certainly better than IE 5.1 when it comes to CSS support!

zim, I feel your pain! The last redesign that I did (the previous version of our site) did not completely support Netscape 4, and I did have some people lambasting me over that fact. They could navigate the site just fine - it's just some of the eye candy I'd added (specifically, expandable menus) didn't run on N4!