OS 9? Any use for it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tenshu2k, Oct 20, 2002.

1. macrumors member

Oct 13, 2002
    Hey.. I'm going to be putting in my order for a dual1ghz+studio display soon.. finally making the switch. I was wondering if there is any use for OS 9 and if i can just keep OS X.2 as my only OS. Some apps i want to run are Office, Photoshop 7, Studio/Dreamweaver MX, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, and maybe some other popular video/graphics/web stuff. Would everything work fine in X? Also is there a version of Quickbooks available for X yet? Thanks.
  2. macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Re: OS 9? Any use for it?

OS9 and 10.2 will both come preinstalled on your new computer. They did on my Dual/Ghz/DDR. For the amount of hard drive space OS9 takes up I would leave it in the off chance you ever need it. There is no speed or stability advantage to removing it.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    All you apps should work fine in 10.2, Quickbooks, im not sure.
  4. macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    Yep, as the others have said, both OS 9 and X will come pre-installed, so no use uninstalling it as it doesn't take up much space, and you just *might* end up having to use it... for what I dunno, but...

And all those apps have OS X native versions, and run perfectly. About Quickbooks.. I did a quick Google search and found this. Looks like they're coming out with the Mac versions early next year.

Hope that helps.

5. macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    Re: OS 9? Any use for it?

It's good for no-permissions hacking of OS X, and old games/programs.