OS 9 anybody ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pixels, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Pixels macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2005
    My wife's orange clam shell iBook has suffered a disastrous crash and she wants me to re-install the OS - but wouldn't you know it - after so many years (and the rest of the family running OSX) we can't find the original software.
    How do I get hold of an install progamme for OS 9.x ?
    Any thoughts anyone or must she bite the bullet and upgrade to OSX ? (That's if it'll run on her machine)
  2. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Try looking on Ebay for some used OS9 software install disks. OS9 is pretty rare these days so you wont get much software support and new program support. The new iBooks looks really attractive right now, just have to wait for the next refresh.
  3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hmm... That's a pretty tough decision. The orange clamshell was the slowest of the original iBooks, at 266-300MHz or somewhereabouts, right? I run Mac OS X on my blueberry at 350, and while it isn't horribly slow, the lack of HD space and max resolution of 800x600 makes it a bit difficult to work under the newer OS. I guess if you have any OS 9 apps you still have use for, go with that. You said the rest of your family was on OS X though, so it might be better to upgrade and deal with the slower speed and cramped space.
  4. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    OS 9 is still around. You can buy it here or I am sure eBay has a bunch floating around.
  5. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Is Safari supported under OS9?

If not, then I really recommend upgrading to OSX or possibly to a faster laptop.
  6. Pixels thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2005

Well I guess that covers it really !
    My wife has been very fond of her old iBook but it's time for it to go.
    The problem is going to be pulling all the apps she understands and loves over to a classic install on a new iBook. - and life will be much simpler when we're all on OSX (but that was Steve Jobs plan all along !)
    Ah well - thanks for all the info.
  7. Jsmit macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2004
    Isn't there a way to get old sofrware restore disks from Apple, for aa small fee of course? I couldn't find a link, but maybe some else has it. Maybe give apple a call, and see where that gets you.
  8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH

Safari came about AFTER Apple's decision to end development of and support for Mac OS 9 (with the exception of the Classic environment); therefore, Safari doesn't even EXIST on Mac OS 9, let alone supported.
  9. Pixels thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2005
    No that's it !

I was one of those sceptics about OSX when it first launched - didn't like it - thought it was pandering to the masses etc etc But Having finally succumbed and upgraded my machines due to my choices of software not running under OS 9 - I am converted ! I am an evangelist for X !
    My wife, however, has been hanging on to the bitter end - Bless her.
    But this finally means we can rid the house of NINE and move forward into a glorious Aqua future - the cost will be as naught compared to the benefits of having us all singing from the same song sheet.

T'is a pity though - - I still have a hankering for the old system - and once in a while I will fire up Classic for old times sake.
  10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I still have a B&W G3 350 with Voodoo 5 5500 grfx card, SCSI 1 card, old scanner, pitiful (in comparison to the iSight) webcam, and some good ol' games on it just to boot Mac OS 9 and strole down memory lane once in a while.
    BTW, just for old time's sake I also run Mac OS X Server 1.2 (the Rhapsody one) on an iMac Rev A.....

Just to take a look... and see how far Apple has come with beautiful Mac OS X as we know it today.
  11. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    If it's any help and you need a mental picture to help scan through CDs, the discs you are after are in square white paper envelopes with a seethru window. The disc themselves are most probably grey with white writing (rather than white with an orange 9). Of the two discs, one will be a software restore, which contains a disk image of factory settings, and the second disc will be OS9 as a system install disk.
  12. Champale macrumors member

Jul 23, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    9 egads

I was a skeptic too about the switch from 9 to X.

But I am also a true believer.

Now the thought of ever running a classic app just makes me cringe.

I think your wife will definitely be glad she was forced to make the switch!