OS 9: Best/most compatible Browser?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tom.96, Mar 7, 2005.

1. tom.96 macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2003
    UK (southern)

I need some help from the OS 9 users out there... I'm using Netscape 7 at the moment which serves me well, however many pages using the latest technologies are not displaying correctly on my setup with Netscape.(OS 9.1, G3 400)

What are the best browsers out there for OS 9? Are there any which are still being developed? I hope at least one is still being updated!

Just in case I'm asked... I don't plan to move to OSX just yet. I know it is excellent but I'm waiting for Tiger and I got no money :(
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I thought IE was OK on OS9. :eek:

But what do I know... I'm just a hack print designer.

I'll get my coat...
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Try Mozilla 1.2.1, which is the last official release of Mozilla for MacOS 9. It shares everything perfectly with Netscape 7, but renders some pages better. I have had some issues with IE 5, but YMMV.
  4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    As far as I know, the latest versions of all browsers have been released for OS 9 and there's no further development. I think Netscape, IE, and Mozilla are your best bets, but I'm almost positive that you'll run into the same issues and probabily more as time goes on.
  5. tom.96 thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2003
    UK (southern)
    Thanks... I'll give Mozilla a go and see if that helps! I 've been running in to lots of other troubles too (apart from browsing) with trying to read word files without word - and I only have Appleworks 5! It just doesn't display correctly and its driving me mad... driving me towards the Apple Store in Regent Street! With credit card in hand...
  6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    There is a developer that has made a modified version of Mozilla 1.3.1 available for OS 9: http://www.wamcom.org/

Other than that, iCab will run in OS 9, but it won't display pages correctly.

You could probably find Word 98 or Word 2001 for OS 9 for cheap :)