OS 9 Boot is Back!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Jun 23, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That was the link to the OS 9 legacy MDD Mac, you'll not there is no FW800 or Airport Extreme.

It's the Rev A MDD PM which DID support OS 9 booting, the Rev B did not.

Sort of interesting that the one G4 they'd leave around is the OS 9 legacy machine.

Looks like OS 9 isn't quite dead yet.

Rev B buying suckers... :p

* Unless the updates are not finished. :eek:

3. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Even the 1.25 and dual 1.25? I thought the Rev A that supported 9 boot was only available at 867 and 1ghz? Correct me, I'm confused.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can't remember all the speeds, but when they release the Rev B machines they kept around a Legacy Rev A machine.

There had been a link on the page for OS 9 bootable Rev A MDD PowerMacs ever since January.

The Rev B machine added Airport Extreme, FW800, and moved USB to PCI bus, etc.

The Rev B machines don't boot OS 9.

---

Check a custom build, it says Airport Card.

5. PowerBook User macrumors regular

Why aren't they going to keep the previous G4's (like the Dual 1.42 GHz) until the G5's ship? I know they wouldn't sell all that many, but how many are they going to sell now if this is the previous revision? They might have almost no Power Mac sales until August when the G5's start shipping.

6. Mblazened macrumors regular

I'll say it again: there is no way to boot a non- OS 9 bootable machine into os 9. Give it up!

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If they're keeping around a spit shined version of the old Rev. A machine this long, what will that mean for the PowerBook 15.

Does this mean the OS that wouldn't die, gets up and stumbles around for a few more months?

Two FireWire 400, four USB ports (two on system, two on keyboard), front headphone minijack and speaker, rear Apple speaker minijack, analog audio line in and analog audio line out minijacks, ADC and DVI connectors for dual display support Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet, AirPort ready(4), v.92 56K modem (5)

8. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

10. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Not at all. Infact, OS 9 is actually much faster than the current version of OS X. This is due to a combination of both slow machines and all the graphical eye candy that is part of the Aqua interface in X. But, as we all know, faster doesn't always mean better.

11. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

OS9 MDD (revA):
    DP867
    DP1G
    DP1.25G

rev B had FW800. that is how apple tells them apart. all apple did for rev b was this

DP867 -> SP1G
    DP1G -> DP1.25G
    DP1.25G -> DP1.42G
    all with FW800 and AP-X.

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

My main computer still OS 9, OSX is a pain in the a** for the file managment, get to a file in OSX take longer than in OS9. I still thinking the emperor has no clothes, lets see this new version of OSX.

14. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

H-okay.... :rolleyes:

Yes you are right. :p Except there were always OS9 MDD G4s available, but they lacked FW800, etc.

15. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Have you tried actually using "file-management" in OSX? I will take coloumns over icon and list view any day. the ability to preview a document without "get info" is great. I could go on, but since you did not clarify, I will stop. ;)

Oh, i just hijacked - sorry.

Back on topic: yeah, sucks to be me, I have a rev B MDD and have no opportunity to boot OS9. Cannot think of a reason why, but would love to have the ability.