OS 9 dual boot

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wowser, Mar 24, 2004.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Would it be possible to install OS 9 on my eMac and retain my OS X system? creating a dual boot thingy?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes, you need to install classic support via your System Restore CDs. Search this forum for more info on that.

You can then boot into Mac OS 9 by changing startup disks in system preferences or I think there is a key combination you can hold after turning on your system.

3. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's one of the "new" currently sold machines, probably not. Since Apple stopped supporting OS 9 bootability on the eMacs when the current ones came out.

If it's an older eMac, they should have been OS 9 bootable. And probably had a bootable OS 9 on the system restore disk. Though I don't know if your current HD has the OS 9 driver enabled.

Just to let you know, the machines are the same. But Apple probably eliminated the OS 9 boot path in the firmware on the newest machines.

5. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

actually, i think mine is the non OS 9 bootable ones. Ah well, it was only gonna be a fun experiment

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Remember you can still run classic within OS X - even if you can't boot into 9 - so you should be able to run most of your OS 9 apps from OS X after installing classic.

8. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

hehe - Mine's a Superdrive. yeah, i guess it's ok with classic. it just feels a little awkward