OS 9 help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaron7e7, Jan 1, 2005.

1. aaron7e7 macrumors newbie

i have a powerbook G3 wallstreet with 32mb of ram and my current OS is 8.6 and i am trying to upgrade to OS 9 but when i boot off of the disc all of the menu items are in strange characters and only the destop items are in english but i know that the disc is good and is in english...can anyone help me
    Thanks alot!!

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Not enouch RAM I'd say. I think to run OS 9 you need like 64MB of RAM, I may be wrong. Try resetting your PRAM - its like control + option and the press the power button. See apple's website. Other than that, just install it, don't worry about how the installation screens look.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Not true. I ran OS 9.2.2 on my old Blueberry Clamshell with only 32 MB. And SlooksterPSV is right. Just install it, and don't worry about what the menu looks like. If it looks that way once it's installed, then you know there's a problem

Daniel

4. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it posible to install OS 9.2 on a OS 8.6 system or do i need OS 9.0 installed first?

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Just reformat the drive and that and install os 9.2 if its the full.

6. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i formatt the drive and the cd turns out to be not the full or if it is currupt..it the an easy way to get back to 8.6

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Do you have any other system disks? Why would this one be corrupt? Is it copied?

Daniel

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, you can install MacOS 9.2.1 directly over your installation of MacOS 8.6. Needless to say, you don't need to reformat.

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Its is POSSIBLE to run OS 9.2 with 32MB RAM, but it's like running OSX on 128MB....

Get more ram.

10. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i formatted and installed OS 9.2.2 and some of the words are in chiness or japaness or soemthing like that...but other words are not...for example "macintosh HD" is in english but in the tooldbar thing on the top all of the options are in a dif lang....is there a way to update it even if it is the latest OS 9 version?

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

9.2.2 is the highest version of OS 9 before we go into OS 10 - though if you go to apple you could try to download the updates and install them over the 9.2.2 you already have... I dunno if that'd work, but maybe it will, and fix everything.

12. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tryed to install the update over it and it says "this software cannot be installed over this localized coy of Mac OS" so I am just going to get some ram and install OS X...does anyone know what the max amount of ram is for the powerbook G3 wallstreet 233 MHz?

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Linkety has all the info you need. And I think you were using a copy of OS 9 designed for Japan/China and not for the U.S.

14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'd have at least 256 if not more, but you can only put up to Jaguar (X.2) on it.
    EDIT- You can install OS X.3(panther) if you use XPostFacto which you can only have 256 Colors.