OS 9 on Xserve??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by digiculture, Oct 31, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2002
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Please don't tell me this is rediculous, I have my reasons. Does anyone know if the old Xserve (1GHz) would run OS 9.2 (not classic, just OS 9)?

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Probably not...

While it is using the same chipset as the Rev A MDD PowerMac G4 -- Apple added 2 PCI-to-ATA bridges, some controll panel lights, controlled cooling, PCI changes, smart drives, etc.

These changes would not be reconized by the old OS 9 ROMs, and would problematic for booting -- since the only thing in the a MDD bootROM's OS 9 ROM file lookup sequence is the CD drive on the XServe.

People did take the old 9600 ROMs and put them into the Apple AIX server, but ran into a bunch of problems.

Most likely you'd have problems getting a MDD's bootROM hacked to boot OS 9 XServe, then more problems with the OS 9 ROM file recognizing the hardware changes.

[Edit -- You can however get Mac OS X Server (the software) running on a Rev. A MDD PowerMac, and buy the Legacy Mac new from Apple]
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2002
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Ah, well I didn't understand half of that but it sounds like you know what you're saying and I DID understand "propably not"

Ah well, thanks anyway.

4. macrumors regular

May 12, 2003
    Fresno, CA (Prescott, AZ for school)
    Just a while back I was wondering the same thing so I took my journalism office's Xserve offline (over the weekend) and threw in an OS 9 CD. It went to a white screen with black type, open firmware mode I think. So basically that's a negative, thankfully it booted up normally after restarting into OS X Server
  5. macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002

Well, to simplify what he said:

The Xserve's hardware has changes that only OSX can use. In OS9, the changes wont work and wont let the xserve work.

To simplify even more: