OS 9 or X Which one should I use?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ShaolinMiddleFinger, Jun 8, 2002.

1. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Maybe you guys can help me out with this one= I currently have a 500Mhz iBook CDRW/DVD rom with 384 megs of ram. The programs I use most of the time is IE, Photoshop 6, Final Cut 2, and sometimes but rarely iMovie. Should I switch over to OSX or stick with 9.2? I don't have the money to buy the newer versions of the programs or even the updates. I've read some of the forums that state that X is better but with my programs, I would have to run classic all the time except for IE and iMovie. Would it be worth my time running OSX with Classic or should 9.2 be faster for me at this moment. Please help me....

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

In your situation i'd suggest you stick with 9.2. I really love OS X, and think it's the best thing to happen to apple in years, but you really need to get the updated software to take advantage of it. Booting up into classic is acceptable, but slow; especially on a G3 500.

Upgrading to X would give you access to much better internet programs (chimera for example), but for your needs, stay with 9 for now.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I agree. If you really can't afford to upgrade, then stick with OS 9 for now. Photoshop 6 isn't exactly the most responsive under Classic in X...

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You would have to run FCP2 in classic mode (OS 9, inside of OSX) so that would defeat the purpose of the upgrade. If you move to FCP 3 and PS7 you might want to think about, but until then you're not really missing much.

D

5. ShaolinMiddleFinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Thanks for the info

Hey Thanks a lot guys. I'll stick with 9.2 then. Thanks again for the help

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya PS7 is only worth the update $ if you either do tons and tons of photo editing and need the healing brush or you do painting stuff and want the new brush pallet. otherwise wait for PS 8 :D :D

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

OSX secund run

I'm going to install OSX for sucund time in my computer now that I have a double 500 processor.

I'm going to transfer the OS 9.2 to the other patrition.

Lets see what happen, last time OSX didn't last 2 days in my computer, I hated it so much, but lets see again.:)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you like 9.x then stick with it. At least until you can afford the application updates. I would recommend obtaining a copy of 10.1.x so that you can try it out and see how well it will work for you. With both 9.x and OS X installed on your system, you can go between them (boot from either) and make your decision.

I use OS X 10.1.x exclusively on my TiBook, but I do occasionally launch classic for things like photoshop (don't have the update yet). I am moving to all OS X native applications, so eventually, I won't even need classic.

OS X is incredibly stable, which is a good reason to use it.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Up until 2 weeks ago, I was pretty much a native OS9 user, with OSX on a little partition, that occasionally got fired up.... then last week, I received a boat load of software that run's in OSX so I decided to make the Jump, 1 erase and reinstall later....... I'm now a full time OSX user...... and must say I am very, very impressed......... the multitasking is fantastic, as is the speed in PS7..... and other OSX apps the stability is also key........ there are a couple of niggles....... but I find myself just working through these.......

I also keep a full configured OS9 set up, ready......... this is more for piece of mind........ I had to boot into it last week to sort out a printing problem in Indesign 2 that I couldn't fix in OSX intime for a deadline...... so minutes later, I was running in OS9 and met my deadline....... :) so it still has it's uses when things f*ck up!!!

I'd be inclined to agree with Alphatech, I'd install OSX, so that you can use it to familarise yourself with its operational, whilst still mainting OS9 as your main OS.... until you get the updates for the software that you use most...... Classic will just frustrate you with it's lack of pure speed..........