OS 9/ OS X Printer sharing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ingenious, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    is there away to share printers between OS 9/X if they are on a diff subnet? I know about the os 9 control panels option to share printers and sharing thru classic on os x, but i could never get it to work. the puters were on diff subnets. was that it? how do i get this to work? do i j need to upgrade to X? I like X so much better, but it's not my puter.... :D

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

If they are in between different subnets then you will probably need a router to get it to work. You may or may not have to have the printer drivers installed on the OS 9 machine as well.

Because they were on different subnets then that is why it didn't work. If its possible to get them on the same subnet with a manual IP address then thats what I would do. If they are on broadband then this isn't possible and you would need a router then.

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    theres a router between them. no, its not possible to change IPs, because these computers are a teachers who asked me to help. unfortunately, i couldn't get it to work. the drivers are installed on both computers, because the OS 9 computer is her old pink iMac (i think Rev B) and her new computer (OS X) is a Rev. B eMac.