OS 9 restarting experts required here please

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bhpfan1, May 21, 2003.

1. bhpfan1 macrumors newbie

May 19, 2003
    hi mates
    would u help me with this?
    i've got a G4 1GHz on OS X.2.2 (from factory)
    The thing is that i really need to restart on OS 9 totally independient from OS X, or even reformatting my HD (ive got only one) to install it on it... but it doesn't allow me at all... OSX is there all the time like a sort of "big brother" handling the situation completely...
    It seems that from OS X.2.2 you can't restart directly on 9 from start up disk, and i tried installing 9 (over X off course) but nothing happened at bloody all...

I've got OSX DVD (bootable), OS9.2.2 (4 CDs, none of them bootable), and a SCSI HD (i need an internal conversor to attach it and I'm not sure if this thing really exists, though)

what if I boot from an OS 9 booting CD, and from this I could reformat my HD allowing me to install 9 from zero????? does this disk exist??? if yes, can anybody pass it on?

or what if I attached another HD????

Suggestions pleeeeease?
    (please try to avoid suggestions that I've already tried and... you win!)

many Thanks
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    There's a whole generation of newer Macs that won't startup in OS 9, due to a ROM on the mobo. I'm not an expert on it, but I suppose it would depend on when u bought yours to determine whether or not it can startup in OS 9.

3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    If it's the single cpu 1Ghz G4 with firewire800 that came out this year, forget it, apple have screwed their userbase over in the worst possible way and forced you to only boot OS X on their new models. There's people who've put bogus info up about booting OS 9 on this years models, closer examination of the info and it refered to an iBook, currently the only new model of any powermac to be introduced this year that still functions as an OS 9 booting mac.

If it's a dual 1Ghz G4 from last year, It will boot OS 9 and they'll be people able to advise you how to.

Sorry if this sounds negative, maybe you should have read the specs of the model before you bought it if OS 9 booting was something you expected from it.
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Since you bought it with 10.2.2 installed, i'll assume it's not a brand new model that won't boot 9. Forgive the obvious answer, but have you changed the setting in System Preferences -> Startup Disk?

5. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Welcome to The New Mac

As stated above, if your Mac has FireWire 800 then you are out of luck. OS 9 is included for Classic functionality within OS X, not for booting into OS 9.

As for the SCSI devices you want to use, I would recommend either a FireWire adaptor or a PCI card with OS X drivers. Try Adaptec for starters.