OS 9 Scrapbook, Appearance, and Res Edit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sparky's, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

This will sound rather ridiculous but I really want to know what "Scrapbook" is all about and how to use it properly. I have spent (literally) hours on line trying to search for "how to" and "what is" about the scrapbook utility all to no avail. I ubderstand it's for copy-pasting items such as text, pictures, sounds, and other bits, but there is no explination of what these files are when stored, how do I edit them or delete them.
    I have been involved with Desktop Publishing for over 20 years and have never really understood the little apps and utilities Apple bundled in it's OS. I'm an InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark etc. power user, and have been brought to my knees with these stupid little apps.
    Also, why can't I find the "Patterns" file that Appearance uses for my desktop backgrounds (strayed a bit off course on that one).
    I wanted to make a neutral grey "Patern" to load into Appearance and delete some of the other Patterns in the control panel but can't seem to figure this out. I even tried opening it in Res Edit but cant find all of the patterns and some won't open because they are not 8,16,32 or 64 pixels in size.
    Can anyone shed some light on this.
    (and I don't want to hear about OS X it's not an option
    :confused: :confused:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Scrapbook stores certain objects that you are likely to use more than once. Copy the object from your favorite application. Paste it to the Scrapbook. The Scrapbook is a Desk Accessory designed to store things. It is not intended to be a file editor. You should have other applications that serve that purpose.

As for patterns, they are stored in the resource fork of the System file. You can edit them using the Desk Accessory designed to do so. You may also edit them using ResEdit. Its easy.

Look, if you have been futzing around with the Macintosh computers for as long as you want us to believe and haven't solved the Mystery of the Scrapbook or the ResEdit Puzzle, I don't think that you are going to do so anytime soon. My advice to you is to avoid ResEdit or anything else that can possibly do damage to your computer.

3. Sparky's thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I am a graphics professional not a computer geek. In my profession the first thing I do is remove any erroneous apps or other software that is not needed in my work environment. I got bored one day and wanted to remove some of the "Untitled" patterns in my appearance menu. I remembered messing with ResEdit years ago and tried to resume where I left off, but forgot most of what I ever knew. I think I have the only version of Quark 4.1 that flips you off when you go to move a handle on a text box :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll check out the system resource as you suggest.