OS 9 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by metzler000, Jan 30, 2004.

1. metzler000 macrumors newbie

Is the upgrade from OS9 to OS 9.2 free? How do you load the upgrade?

John

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I run OS 8.6 -- you mean there is something new?

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

8.6? Whuzzat?

I just upgraded to 7.5.3 :D

I wonder when Apple is going to start giving out Systems 8 and 9 free download like 6 and 7 are right now.

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Eww! If I remember correctly wasn't 7.5.3 supposed to be a bug fix for 7.5 but actually made things worse? And then 7.5.5 came along to fix things but, again, made things worse.

I used to get type 10 and type 11 crashes hourly with 7.5.5! They'd bring the whole system down completely. Sorry for the off topic-ness!

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have only used OS 8.6, OS 9, OS 9.1, OS 9.2.2, OS 10.0, OS 10.2.7, and OS 10.3.x as of yet. I am glad I haven't had the misfortune of OS 7 from all the horror stories I've heard of it. I've seen OS 9 for $20 at random times from different online stores, you just have to keep your eyes open.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

People can say anything they want. The truth, however, is that System 7 served the Mac community very well for years. It was introduced in 1991. Three years later in 1994, System 7 transitioned the Mac community from the Motorola 680x0 processor to the IBM PPC. Given that there is no standard for OS version numbers, System 7 stood the test of time longer than any other Macintosh operating system to date. When MacOS 8 replaced it in 1997, System 7 had lasted six years.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's true. I hear a lot of people complain about how slow or how unstable OS 9 was and I have used it from when it came out until now still from time to time and I find it to be much faster and just about as stable as OS X. I guess the same can be said with OS 7, people just tend to rag on it more either because it is older or have had some ill memories of it from the past and allowed a few incidents color their judgments.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I used System 7 for years, and MisterMe's correct in that it lasted the longest of all the versions. I seem to recall some major new features of System 7 were multitasking (without having to use MultiFinder), and new networking. I believe Apple released an update to System 6 (6.0.8 I think) to allow it to use the new networking protocols.

System 7.5 introduced icons up on the right-hand side of the menu bar. I think the Control Strip was new in 7.5 too.

I'm not sure whether the name "Mac OS" started with 7.5.1 or 7.5.2. All I know is that 7.5 was called System 7.5, and my friend's PowerBook 190 come with Mac OS 7.5.2. 7.5.5 was the last version to work on 68000 and 68020 Macs, and is the last version available free from Apple.

7.6 I'm not too sure of, but I have 7.6.1 installed on my LC III (it's the newest it can run).

8.0 introduced a "3D" look (called Platinum I think), and 8.1 introduced HFS+, which is still used today by OS X. It was also the last version to run on 68K Macs.

I didn't get a PowerPC Mac until February 2003, so I know virtually nothing about 8.5-10.1 (my first PPC came preinstalled with 10.2.1). However I do know that 8.6 is a free upgrade from 8.5, and 9.2.2 is the latest version of the Classic Mac OS (and is a free upgrade from 9.0).

Hope that helps. Even if it doesn't, it's made me all nostalgic :)