OS 9 with Jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by saint, Dec 15, 2002.

1. saint macrumors regular

Well, I bought a copy of Jaguar for an older iMac, but now can't run classic applications because I never had OS 9.
    What do I have to do to run classic apps, am I supposed to go and buy a copy of OS9 in addition to OS 10.2 or what?

help appreciated...
    thanks

2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

How old is that iMac? I think that OS 9 was the standard OS for all iMacs after the 333Mhz model. Maybe it was the 350 though. Otherwise, yeah, to use Classic you'll have to buy OS 9. Call Apple. Who knows, maybe they'll be nice and help. ;)

Wouldn't count on it though.

Regards,
    Gus

Edit: I just checked www.apple-history.com and the first iMac with a default of OS 9 was the 350 Mhz.

4. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I suggest you get in touch with your local mac users' group and see if someone can give you a copy of OS 9. There are lots of people out there who have multiple copies of it that they no longer need. Failing that, hunt round on the net for a cheap/second-hand copy. I'm sure it'd turn up on ebay quite frequently.

Good luck.

5. saint thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll try and find a copy from somewhere- preferably without paying.

But I think it would be better if all copies of OS X also included a copy of OS 9.
    Buying the latest OS should also entitle one to use all previous versions of the Mac OS.

Although I would expect that almost everyone who upgrades to OS X is upgrading from OS 9 or above, but it still would be more convenient if OS9 came in the box as well.

BTW, it's a 333MHz, which came with 8.6

Thanks guys