OS 9 with Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tencentcat, Nov 1, 2003.

1. tencentcat macrumors newbie

tencentcat

Sorry if this a stupid question, but I can't seem to find an answer.

Can I have OS 10.3 and OS 9.2.2 on the same drive like I can in 10.2? Does OS 9 come standard on any of the new Panther driven Macs?

Thanks.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The only "new" Macs OS 9.2.2 will run on are most likely the eMac, and Legacy PowerMac G4 & iBook G3.

Now I don't know if they include any bootable copies of OS 9 anymore, you'd need to look in the tech specs for the machines under Software.

(ie, eMac didn't look like it included a bootable copy of OS 9 anymore -- but the iBook G3 and PowerMac G4 still might)

---

All the other "new" machines only run Classic under OS X, and won't boot into OS 9.

3. homeshire macrumors regular

I know I have OS 9.2 on the same drive as Panther. I was running 10.2.8 when I upgraded to Panther, and it has had no impact on my OS9. Actually, it has; classic seems to run smoother and with fewer problems. As far as buying a new machine that'll still boot into 9, I think good luck on that one.

4. tencentcat thread starter macrumors newbie

tencentcat

thanks for the help. I really don't want OS 9 except that I still need it until digidesign finally gets it together and supports pro tools for panther. hopefully soon.