OS 9 won't finish startup - extension conflict?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maizblanco, Oct 26, 2005.

1. maizblanco macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    When I try to start OS 9 from OS X, the startup begins but never ends. I'm running OS X.3.9 on a G4 ibook.

I'm guessing it's an extensions conflict - does that diagnosis make sense? Because I have tried:

Restarting the computer
    Rebooting from Mac CDs and running Disktools (or whatever it's called now)
    Turning off all extensions and rebuilding the desktop in System 9
    Removing a few extensions

Even if I've correctly identified the problem, which I don't know whether I have, from here I really don't know how to go about identifying which extensions are the problem and untangling them. Can I install a start-up manager or some shareware onto OS 9 that will solve this for me? Or do I have to blindly add/remove extensions until it happens to stop?

Thanks for your help, and if you couldn't tell I'm pretty technologically challenged, so please explain in basic language.....

Thank you!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS 9 has a built-in extension manager. Believe or not, it is called Extensions Manager and takes the form of a Control Panel. You can launch it on startup by pressing the space bar. But, you don't have to do that. You can also start Classic without extensions by making that choice from a pop-up menu in the MacOS X Classic preferences pane. That pop-up gives you the option of starting Extensions Manager.