OS 9.x to Tiger: now OS 9.x files won't open...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluemonkey, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

My boss just bought me a brand new Dual 2.0 G5 and 20" apple cinema display. This is a big leap forward from my Quicksilver 800Mhz running OS9. I was really excited, until I connected to our Xserve and tried to open a Quark 5 doc with my brand new Quark 6.5, and it was unrecognizable. I tried adding .qxd to the end, and still no dice. Then I read that Quark is now .qxp, and that got the item to open. I had a similar problem opening Indesign 2.0 files in IDCS, until I added the extension to them.

My question for you guys is do I have to add an extension to every single file that displays the grey "UNIX executable file" icon? Is there a way to automate this process? I have used Panther on my ibook, but only for Adobe apps, never Quark, and I never had this problem there. ID2 files open splendidly in Panther. What's the deal, here?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How are you trying to open the files -- double clicking, dragging to the dock, or the file/open option from Quark? You might be able to find one Quark file, and then right click it, choose the open with other option, then select Quark and click the "always open with" box before clicking ok. This should associate all the files.

OS X doesn't usually need extensions -- but I believe that the method it uses to identify files without extensions is different from the method in OS 9.

Or it might be a Quark oddity? :(

3. bluemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried double-clicking (I get the 'choose application') window.
    I have tried File>Open (this is not a supported file format)
    I have tried dragging to the dock (same results).

The thing about the "open with" and "change all" commands is that more than just Quark files are showing the "Unix executable file" icon, and I don't want it to try and open everything with Quark.

Has this happened to anyone else, or am I the lucky one?

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

If I understand correctly, all you need to do is change a bunch of extensions for a bunch of files? Well, since you have Tiger why not try using Automator to do that? :p

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I agree about Automator. I had a large file naming task and it worked as good as any shareware programs I used in the past. It should fix your problem.