OS 9

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Apr 15, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Would anyone be willing to give me a copy of OS 9 for an old 266 iMac (the colored one) for free? I'm trying to restore this thing for my friend and she doesn't have restore cd's/install cd's because she got it from a guy who was throwing it away and he didn't have any cd's for her. Anyone willing to help? I know atleast 1 person here has no use for their OS 9 cd anymore. Please, give me a hand.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

did the machine already have OS9 on it. If not, OS 9 won't install unless firmawre update 1,2 has been applied already. That machine actually came with OS 8.5 (maybe 8.5.1). a retail 8.6 CD would install on that machine just fine.

If I had an extra OS 9 Cd to give you I would. I gave my extra away a long time ago though. If you don't get any offers, you can find sometimes find the orange install and restore disks on ebay.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was planning adding a bigger hd or external for more storage and more ram. She really wants panther on it but i know it just won't run well.

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually made a mistake in saying it's a 266, it's really a 233.

5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

it will probably run better. my 233 imac runs better with panther than it did with 9. But i have 192mb of ram in it

6. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you serious? I'm definately going to add more ram. Atleast another 128. Should i just go with an external hard drive instead of putting a new hard drive inside? that way i don' have to deal with formatting the new bigger hd, everything will just go to the external? Unless Panther won't fit on the 4 gig hard drive already installed?