OS DVDs Compatible between Mac Mini and MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tolive, Mar 13, 2007.

1. tolive macrumors member

Just wondering, any body tried to restore the Macbook Pro system using the DVDs come with a Mac Mini? The DVDs came with my MacBook Pro seems to be scratched, can I use the Mac Mini DVDs?

2. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

They are usually made specific to each machine.

Kevin

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it most likely won't work. There's a workaround, but it's not particularly legal.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Sorry

Sure they're "scratched". Don't insult our intelligence.

And to answer your question, no.

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I just tried a MacBook install CD with an iMac and it said it didn't work. I'd assume it's the same for a Mini and MBP, probably because of the desktop/laptop difference.

6. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

How could it be specific to each machine?. The disc are just discs and should not be limited to one Mac.

7. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

There's a difference with the desktop/laptop discs because of the power management options, and a few other things, I'm sure (i.e. iMacs don't have battery power, it probably would mix things up if certain laptop-specific kexts were installed in an iMac).

Come to think of it, the discs are probably hardware-specific and wouldn't work between machines. Mac Mini discs probably don't have the iSight or backlit keyboard files for an MBP, and 1st gen MacBook install discs don't have the Double Layer DVD-RW drivers for an iMac.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Well, they are and have been for quite some time.

9. matttrick macrumors 6502

easy, its not windows. it wont work. though i would try calling apple and see if you can send in your scratched disc for a new one.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Each Mac has different firmware so it wouldn't be terribly difficult for Apple to limit the usage of discs to specific machines. As I said before though, this can be overcome with a bit of lateral thinking, if necessary. Remember though, that legally you can't install the supplied OS from one machine onto another.