Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
Hi I am working with video at work at the moment between windows and Mac. Basically FAT32 is no good for Video but this seems to be the only format that is proplerly supported by both.

Now I am sure I have heard their is a third partty program for windows that lets you run os extended on windows. This would be ideal, or perhaps the other way NTFS on windows, seems to be read only currently. Most of the extenral hard disks seem to be in NTFS currently. So a Mac app to give me full NTFS access would be the best if that exists?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
This problem is one which has plagued me when I first got my Mac. Thankfully, I've come to my senses and stopped using Windows for editing.

You may require Windows though, so I'll give it a shot. If both computers are at work, you could try networking them together. The fastest way would be IP over firewire if the PC has a firewire card. Of course, both computers would need to be in relatively close proximity-you can't run a firewire cable all around the building. If they aren't close to each other, theoretically, you can also do this over any old Ethernet network, its just a lot slower. Once you've connected them by a firewire cable, or plugged them into the same router, its only a matter of turning on Windows networking on both the PC and Mac.

As far as I can see, Firewire is the only viable option, but as you mentioned: there is software for Windows which can read HFS disks. It’s called Mac Drive:
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

I'm not aware of a NTFS disk reader for Mac, but it sounds plausible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.