OS for ibook clamshell

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rickame, Aug 26, 2006.

1. rickame macrumors member

Hi, I bought an indigo ibook clamshell 366 on ebay...looks great but has no software. Can someone tell me best way to get OS 9.2.2 and/or OS 10 (.2 or .3) on this machine. Will any of the restore cds I see for sale work on this, or do I need other retail versions. I can put this on a network wih my mac mini if that will help install...Advice appreciated.

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Starting from the basics, consider how much RAM you have and how big your hard drive is. Two real considerations between OS 9.2 and OS X.

Any off the shelf version of a Mac OS should get you up and running -- I'm not sure about the legality of using a system restore disc for a system you don't own.

I recently installed 10.2 on my blueberry iBook and I couldn't be happier!

Good luck.

3. rickame thread starter macrumors member

reply to the dude

Thanks, I have 128 of ram. I think I want to install both OS 9 and 10 as my daughter and I still have old programs. Anything special to install both so you can dual boot or just load both on....which one first. I have copy of OS 9 and will get 0S 10 ...you suggest 0S10.2 or 10.3? Any other advice welcome.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Assuming you're upgrading from OS 9 to OS X, there's no need to dual boot -- you can run your OS 9 software within OS X through Classic (which you'll see on your HD after installing OS X).

You could run X.2 or X.3 -- first thing I'd suggest, though, would be to get more RAM -- OS X is a ram hog and running it on 128 could be painful at times. I bet you could expand memory to 576 for under $100, or to 320 for under $50.

5. rickame thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Ok, get more ram, install OS X then can just install OS 9 into same HD volume and it will run uder classic...correct? thanks.

6. Roba macrumors 6502

Check your updates and make sure that you are running the newest firmware for your iBook or your upgrade to OS X will not work.
    There is some information on this here
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

I have got 10.3.9 installed on a clamshell. It does not eat up to much hard drive space it uses up 2gb for the install and some of the newest apps offer support for it. Panther require 128mb of ram in order to install.

I bought my Panther install CD's 10.3 and 10.3.9 upgrade from Ebay.

7. rickame thread starter macrumors member

reply to Roba

OK...feeling kinda dumb...If there is no system on my ibook hard drive, could there be a firmware issues and will i be able to install OS 9 or OS 10. Which should I sintall first?...Didn't think I could put firmware on before there is a system...Clarify if you can..Thanks.

8. Roba macrumors 6502

I am not certain on this so I wouldn't like to advice on this.
    I have PM'd you also.
    I hope that your question does get answered though.