OS for new powerbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by overheated, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. overheated macrumors member

    Jun 3, 2004
    if i buy a pb 17 today i would assume it would come with panther installed. correct? if i wait until after the release of tiger will that come on my new purchase instead? if i get one with panther on it is there a upgrade (free) to tiger or will i get nicked on that also?

    can someone clue me into what to expect for a near future puchase as far as the OS is concerned? Thanks
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020


    Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yes, yes, and it'll probably cost you $20 though it might be free.

    Nobody who knows anything about the next release is saying anything. We'll all find out about it in a couple weeks. I'm wondering how you can improve on Panther--but I also wondered that with Jaguar.
  3. reaper macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    You usually have to buy the computer pretty close to the release of the new OS for Apple to give you a break on the price. Since no one expects Tiger to be out anytime before October, I would say that, unless you can wait that long, get it now and deal with the possibility of upgrading later. No one even knows what is going to be in Tiger so I wouldn't make that the definitive factor in my Mac search.

    - reaper
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    You'll be under the "Up-to-Date" program.

    Don't expect Apple to cover machines sold before the official announcements, only machines sold after that don't happen to have the new OS.

    Though it's always possible some select machines may be covered, that sold prior to the announcemnet.

    NOTE: A Preview is not an announcement, Apple considers the "we're shipping it now" an actual announcement.
  5. overheated thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 3, 2004
    thanks for that super fast reply.... i had just gotten off the fence in buying a pb17 this afternoon and sat down to make the purchase this evening. i ran across this site for the first time and it seems to be rather an authority on all things mac. if i could (given you have some 60,000 posts you might be a good person to ask) should i hold off just a couple of weeks to see if anything happens with improvements on june 28th or is that a fools errand and there will be nothing updated or new in the pb line and i should just belly up and buy it? thanks.
  6. James L macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2004

    Buy now. There will not be PB updates at WWDC, contrary to what a lot of dreamers seem to think. The PB's were JUST updated like 6 weeks ago!

    As for the OS, Apple usual previews the latest OS build at WWDC, but they have always shipped in the fall. Last year it Panther came out in October I believe.

    So, if you buy your machine now (which you should), you will get Panther. When OS 10.4 comes out for release in the fall you will have to buy it if you want it (usually about $129).

    The discounted "up to date" program is more for people who buy their machine AFTER the release date, but it comes preinstalled with the old OS. So, for example, Tiger is released on October 1st (hypothetically), you buy your machine on October 17th, but it only comes with Panther. You would be entitled to the up to date discount and would be able to just get Tiger for $20 or so (shipping and handling fees basically).

    Hope this helps!

  7. JFreak macrumors 68040


    Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    yes, but if i remember correctly, also the puchases that are made within 30 days of the release are also covered. at least i got a free jaguar with my tibook back then, and jag wasn't released when i bought it.

    also good to point out that these $20 discs are only for UPGRADING the previous installation, so if you have panther in software restore disc and have tiger up-to-date disc in hand, you will not be able to install tiger on a clean (formatted) hard drive, but instead have to first install panther and then upgrade to tiger. one annoying extra step, but what can you do...

    if one wants to wait until all apples ship with tiger, it will be about three months more waiting after the release. the old inventory must be cleared first and only the new units (made after the release) will have tiger in the software restore disc. i suffered this wait with panther and i'm glad i did. the upgrade disc (jag) was very annoying. (and yes, i have to sometimes wipe it all clean, because i use protools and have to have the cleanest system possible. after a few os upgrades the system disc becomes very fragmented and thus very slow.)
  8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020


    Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Personally, I would wait until the conference because you never know what they will announce...even if they don't have updated PB's (which they won't) they might annonce something that appeals to your liking such as new software which might only be avail. on the new books, other special offers or deals or something else that might appeal to you...so unless you absolutely need it now, wait a few to see.

    Don't plan on getting tiger unless you want to wait until at least sept or oct! They are only previewing some Tiger features...this is often very confusing...TO BE CLEAR...YOU WILL NOT own tiger until OCT at the earliest...and unless you wait until sept or oct. buy, you won't own it without paying at least $130+.

    Panther is awesome and I personally would wait to get Tiget until December or early next year. There are often bugs to the first release of a new OS (yes, even on Macs :rolleyes: ) so unless you like to trouble shoot it is usually best to wait a few months at least. The release after Tiger won't be coming out in 2005 anyway so don't think to yourself you will be so behind the curve by waiting...apple has said they are placing more space between major updates after Tiger's release.

    good luck.

  9. sparky76 macrumors regular

    Jul 2, 2003
    I wouldn't wait. Panther is now very stable, and Tiger will certainly have some problems until about 10.4.2, when Apple will have fixed most of them. This is unlikely to be before Jan 2005, so get a stable OS now, and upgrade when 10.4 has its problems ironed out (watch these forums for more on Tiger problems).

Share This Page