OS install CD question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plumers, Jun 17, 2004.

1. plumers macrumors member

Do you think I can use one OS install CD (OS X Jaguar install CD) twice or even more? I just want to change my iMac OS to panther but I have to install the Jaguar first (my imac has OS 9 installed) my friend said to me! Is that right?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Your friend is wrong. Skip 10.2, and go straight to 10.3!

Lee Tom

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not necessarily. People who got 10.3 upgrade discs via the OS up-to-date program (i.e. bought their new Mac 30 days or so before Panther was available) have 10.3 CDs that require 10.2 to be installed before they will work.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....and it appears it needs to be said yet again....license agreement - read it.....are you *entitled* to be installing from this CD all over the place? .....oh yeah!

5. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

i think if he paid for the cds legally, and is only using them for personal use, not distributing, than he has every right to use his cd's on his own computer.

6. plumers thread starter macrumors member

Nah, it's just for personal use. For myself. Can I use it twice or more (will get more imacs from ebay soon, I will open small business and use it for our filing stuff not for resale)? I bought the CDs from ebay couple weeks ago! (they gave me the certificate booklet)

Yeah, I skipped OS 10.2 and it works!!! I will choke my friend :D *just playin'

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....bzzzt....wrong...unless the package he bought was the "family pack" which allows for 5 installs on non-commercial-use computers in the same household. Otherwise, OS X is a *single computer* license and installing on more than 1 computer is a violation of the agreement....oh yeah!

8. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

well technically yes, but since in this instance it will only lead to having more computers running OSX, isnt that what apple wants in the big picture? as long as he's not making money off their work, i see no harm done. :cool:

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I do not want to turn this into another debate about piracy and license agreements....there have been enough of those already. Apple wants OS X installed, yes...but they want it installed legally and in accordance with their sales and license agreements - that's why they write them and put them in the box and make you agree to them before installing the software. I am constantly amazed at what little regard people show for these agreements.....oh yeah!